This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

So you met someone the other day. They’re cool and you got a good vibe and now you want to get to know them better. Maybe you want to take them back to your dorm room…to watch TV and raid your stash of hint-of-lime Tostitos. Maybe you want to get them out of their clothes…and try them on because they have great style! Maybe you look forward to a future together…of shared memes, music and memories.

You may have been struck by the friend crush. It’s the platonic version of that rom-com moment when the petit, heart-winning heroine breaks her heel and a good-looking stranger slides up out of nowhere to catch her before she tumbles to the ground. Eyes meet, hearts stop, worlds collide.

Friendship meet-cutes are more likely to take place in class or a club meeting or in the friend-of-a-friend’s dorm room. But the chemistry is just as real (albeit platonic).

So what to do when you have a friend crush?

Learn their name!

This is a big one, at least for me. Sometimes I’ll meet someone awesome and remember that and why I liked them, but have no idea what their name is. Try to nail this down early on because the more time passes, the more awkward it is to ask! If too much time has passed and you’ve reached the point of no return, try to peep their name on a class paper, listen for someone to address them directly, ask a friend, or exchange Instagrams!

Let them know you think they’re cool :)

Don’t go overboard on the friend-worship, but everyone responds well to honest, earnest compliments. Do they have great style or interesting opinions? Do they tell the best jokes or always make really smart points in class? Let them know the little things you admire about them, because you’re not going to make friends by refusing to talk to them.

Ask them to hang another time!

Admittedly this works better when you’re not sprinting across campus to make your theology lecture. However, even if you don’t have enough time to grab lunch or coffee directly post-class, you can still ask them to meet up and work or study together!

Find common interests

If you have common interests, that’s great! If something comes up that you both want to do or if they mention doing something you’ve always wanted to try, piggyback off this and suggest you meet up again! Maybe they know a cool thrift shop or restaurant. Maybe they mention a show you’ve both been dying to watch and you have Hulu! Find something you click on and take advantage of it.

Get their number ;)

Maybe you’re project partners! Maybe you want it just in case you have a question about the homework. Or maybe you just come out and tell them you think they’re cool and want to hang out. Whatever your method, get those digits!

Say “we should be friends!”

This one works best if you have a mutual understanding that you guys vibe really well together. But honestly, no one’s going to say “no, we really shouldn’t.” Putting yourself out there can be scary but exhilarating, and even if you don’t end up hanging out, at least you shot your friend shot!

Good luck out there! Shoot your shots and remember that at the end of the day they’re one of a lot of friends that you will make. Reminding yourself of that will take the pressure off! Here’s hoping that all of you will turn your friend crushes into friendship romances!<3

Jade Young

Loyola '22

Screenwriting major from Seattle.
Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.