Feeling Overwhelmed about Going Back to School?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Whether you’re a first year student or a returning student attending person classes for the first time, this new normal can be greatly overwhelming. Making sure you get to class on time, seeing if you have the right books, or even planning on when to go eat for on-campus dining. All these things might seem daunting at first, but here are some helpful tips to help you navigate any back to school confusion!

tip #1: Keep every Syllabus!

At the beginning of every class, your professors will provide you with a syllabus. This may seem like nonsense and a waste of paper, but the syllabus can be a very handy tool! It will have the layout of all the homework that will be due before every class. Your professors might forget to mention your homework at the end of class, so it is still your responsibility to keep track of when work is due. Every point counts! The syllabus also provides meeting locations and office hours for each of your professors. Many professors have an office in University Hall and that building can be a maze, so it is always handy to have that guide with you.

tip #2: Know Closing Times

If you are on the meal plan or are just looking for something to grab between classes, it is very important to know when dining areas close. Many convenience stores on campus are open until 2 a.m. almost every night. However, hours of operation for locations like the Lair or Roski’s change depending on the day of the week. Knowing when dining areas close can help plan out your day as well. You never want to be caught trying to get a meal between classes and the dining room is closed. 

Tip #3: Check Your School’s Bookstore

In the syllabus and on the first day of class, your professors will inform you on what books are needed for the course. If your professor makes their books mandatory, then hold on a second from pressing that check out button in your Amazon cart! Your school’s bookstore may have new and used versions of those books. I highly advise used versions because they will be much cheaper and are easily returnable! Many bookstores will also price match if you find a lower price from a different seller!

Tip #4: Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff!

This is a big change back into reality and this new sense of normal. That feeling of being overwhelmed and anxious is a shared emotion amongst your classmates and professors. Returning to in-person learning is a big step into a brighter future and I know you will do great! Always ask for help if you need assistance looking for a class or a nudge in the right direction! Everyone is in the same boat and we will get through this together!

Hi! I am a swimmer from NJ and for LMU. I am so excited to write articles for such an amazing place!
Hey there! I'm Sophia Villamor, I'm an English major here at LMU, and am originally from the Bay Area. I love all things Disney, makeup, and fashion related.