This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Even though I’m an English major, I haven’t been an immense reader within the last few years. Typically because I read so many books for school, reading is the last thing I want to do in my spare time. For a while now, I’ve been desperate to get back into reading as a hobby, and quarantine was the perfect opportunity to dive back in. 

I had a few of these books on my reading list to begin with and did a bit of research trying to find easy, exciting books to hook me into reading again. I got a lot of the recommendations from YouTube channels, New York Times bestseller lists, or checked out other works from authors I already liked. 

If you’re also looking to get back into reading outside of school, this list is a decent place to start. Almost every single book on this list I loved, but I’ll give them all scores out of 5 just to make it easier to choose from if you’d like to pick up some of the books on this list. Additionally, I’m not summarizing any of the books (otherwise, this article would be 15 pages long), but I linked the GoodReads pages for everything, which outlines, reviews, and suggests places to purchase each book.

Without further ado, here’s everything I read between April and August!

open books laid out
Photo by Patrick Tomasso from Unsplash

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (3/5)

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning was the first book I decided to pick up. I gravitated towards it because Disney+ had just announced the series. I was quite excited to reread this book, especially since I hadn’t looked at it since fourth grade. It was what I remembered, but for me, the language was just a bit too simplistic to focus on the storyline (yes, I know it’s a kids’ book). I didn’t finish this novel, but it was a great placeholder while waiting for my other books to arrive. All in all, I’d recommend rereading this book if you were a fan of the series as a kid, but don’t expect to be as obsessed as you were when you were 10.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (3/5)

I saw this book recommended by multiple people on TikTok and decided to give it a try. It is a Young Adult novel and definitely comes across that way in terms of narrative style and story. I read this book in a few days and definitely enjoyed it. It’s a good mystery with an unreliable narrator and a pretty shocking plot twist. This was a great book to get me back into reading since it was a quick and juicy read that kept me intrigued. Definitely not the best book I’ve ever read, but worth checking out if you like mysteries and teen novels.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (4.5/5) 

Let me start out by saying that this book is THICK! While it’s over 500 pages, I read this book pretty quickly and was intrigued enough by the story to keep going. I had never heard of Murakami as a writer and saw his work recommended on YouTube. He is an incredible surrealist novelist and writes intriguing, troubling, and fascinating characters that I was immediately drawn to. I wish I could explain anything that happens in this novel, but if you are the kind of reader who likes everything to be resolved by the end, this book is not for you. The only reason I didn’t give it a whole 5 rating is that I didn’t feel completely fulfilled by the ending, but I suppose there is something poetic about that considering the subject matter. This book is perfect for you if you like novels with an untraditional narrative structure, family conflict, astral projection, and murder. I definitely will read more of Murakami’s work in the future.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (4/5)

After reading such a long and complicated novel, I desperately needed something quick and exciting. “Coraline” is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I’ve wanted to read the book for years. I definitely enjoyed reading it and liked seeing what lines or plot points they changed in the film. I did expect a bit more of an exploration into the lore of the novel, explaining how the Other Mother’s universe works, which was unfortunately not expanded upon much in the story. If you’re a big fan of the film, the book is definitely worth reading, but there isn’t much expansion about the story’s world.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (5/5) 

One of my all-time favorite novels, I reread this masterpiece to prepare for Atwood’s sequel last year. I hadn’t read this book since my senior year of high school and fell in love with it all over again. Atwood’s style of writing is so calculated and succinct but expressive and detailed at the same time. It was especially interesting to reread after watching the Hulu series, which significantly expands on the original novel. If you haven’t read this classic, you absolutely have to. It’s one of the best dystopian novels ever written and is gripping from start to finish.

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (2/5)

This is definitely the book I enjoyed the least on this list. I hate to admit it, but I only read about 100 pages before I lost interest. As I said before, I reread the original Handmaids Tale as a refresher before reading this sequel. The narrative style of The Testaments is entirely different from the first novel and has three coinciding narratives from three characters. The book takes place years after Offred’s story and is from the perspectives of a handmaid, a wife, and an aunt in Gilead. I really wish that I enjoyed this book, but I didn’t find the structure or characters compelling. I may try it again soon, but I’m definitely not in a rush to pick it up again.

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet (5/5) 

Another novel I saw recommended on Youtube, The Vanishing Half is one of the best books I’ve ever read. I could not put it down, and I was eager for the plot to unfold. Brit Bennett is a fascinating writer and encapsulates her characters’ thoughts, feelings, and motivations beautifully. This novel examines colorism, racial passing, white privilege, transgender issues, and generational trauma in a very natural and effortless way. If you’re looking for a Black centered novel, you should pick this one up immediately. It’s genuinely one of my favorite books of all time.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (5/5) 

I’ve wanted to read this novel for over a year after watching the HBO limited series starring Amy Adams, one of the best shows I have ever seen. The book was just as good; uniquely disturbing, grotesquely thrilling, and incredibly unique, Flynn has a real understanding of humankind’s complexity. The novel’s central mystery, the disappearance, torture, and murder of two local girls, are only the surface of twisted and disturbing happenings in the book’s world. With a semi-unreliable narrator, a thrilling climax, and enough horror to put a chill in your bone,  Sharp Objects is a must-read for any fan of thrillers.

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (5/5) 

While I’m not the biggest Stephen King fan, The Shining is one of my favorite books, so I came into this novel with very high expectations. Said by King to be his most terrifying novel, I legitimately could not put this book down. The first 50 pages are a bit slow, but the story takes off like a rocket after that. This book is a chilling examination of the lengths people will go to to save and subsequently damn, the ones they love. It’s definitely a long read but goes by quite fast. If you have never read Stephen King and want to get into his work, this novel is a great place to start.

There we have it! (Almost) every single book I read over quarantine. I hope this list is a helpful jumping-off point if you are like me and looking for an excuse to dive back into reading.

Hey there! I'm Sophia Villamor, I'm an English major here at LMU, and am originally from the Bay Area. I love all things Disney, makeup, and fashion related.
Her Campus LMU