Emily Sweet: A Model Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I met Emily Sweet, a sophomore business and French double major and member of Pi Beta Phi, nearly two years ago backstage at Jason Wu’s spring fashion show. We were both given the opportunity to walk in the show that year, and were waiting to do a rehearsal walkthrough when I overheard Ms. Sweet talking about which colleges she had applied to. To my surprise, she mentioned Loyola Marymount University, and I immediately jumped into the conversation and started telling her all about it. Now almost two years in to her college experience, I got the opportunity to interview Emily about her modeling career thus far.

1. How long have you been modeling?

ES: I’ve been modeling professionally since I was 15 years old. I began in San Francisco and began spending summers in Los Angeles when I was 16.

2. What is the most fun/cool modeling job you have done?

ES: When I was 16, I shot for a Japanese magazine and had to pose on top of a bunch of stacked mattresses. The spread was based on The Princess and the Pea, so I got to shoot way up in the air on top of all these vintage mattresses. The pictures were really cool! I’m on the cover of two magazines this month, one American and one European, which is also pretty cool!

3. What do you find to be the most challenging aspect of the industry?

ES: I think the most challenging aspect about the modeling industry is the large amounts of competition. It’s really important not to take things personally when you don’t book a particular job, because often times there are 50 girls trying out for the same position. Instead of getting hurt feelings, it’s important to keep a positive outlook.

4. How do you balance schoolwork and modeling? Do you find it more challenging as a college student?

ES: It’s fairly difficult balancing both a double major and a full-time modeling career. I drive into Beverly Hills after classes a lot, and have to skip classes for work, which can be difficult. Although it’s difficult to manage my busy schedule, modeling is one of my passions so I’m always driven to keep an equal balance of school and work.

5. You spent this past summer in New York, what was that like?

ES: Yes, I spent three months living in New York City this summer, and it was incredible! I stayed in a model house near Grand Central Station, and I worked on some really incredible jobs, including a book cover and some runway shows. After work, my friends and I would explore different parts of the city, and I spent a lot of time trying all of the different cafes and restaurants around New York! I want to move there after college, and it was the best summer of my life.

6. Is modeling something you wish to pursue professionally in the future?

ES: I plan on continuing modeling throughout college, as long as I’m still successful. Because of my modeling, I’ve been able to pay for my education without taking out student loans. After school, I want to find a job that involves both the fashion industry and business (which is one of my majors). I’m actually considering starting an agency of my own one day!

7. How did you initially get started in the modeling industry?

ES: It’s actually a really random story! I was nearly 5’10 by the time I left middle school, so I always felt really self-conscious about my height and weight. A lot of girls would make jokes about how I looked really lanky, and I spent a lot of time trying to fit in. Eventually, I decided that instead of being insecure about my body, I should embrace it, so I decided to try modeling. I was signed by the first agency that I visited, and I shot my first catalog job a week later!

8. What is one of the biggest misconceptions about modeling that you wish people understood better?

ES: A lot of people think that models have a reputation for being really ditzy, and that is not true! I think this misconception comes from the fact that many models come to America from different countries and can’t speak English very well. Many models I know are incredibly smart, and I try and break that stereotype by staying in college and working on both my Business and French majors. I think it’s important to see that girls can be involved in the entertainment industry without abandoning their education, because getting a degree is fundamental.

9. What else are you passionate about (hobbies, sports, etc.)?

ES: I’m involved in my sorority (Pi Phi) as one of the marketing chairs. I’m also pledging the business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi. I don’t play sports, unless you consider runway modeling to be a sport. ;)

Her Campus LMU