Style > Beauty

Cosmetic Products That May Be Breaking You Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

With tons of new makeup and skincare launches and the Spring Sephora in our midst, caring for our skin should be a priority. As a person with acne-prone skin, I am very careful about what skincare products I chose to use and what makeup brands and products cater to my skin. I recently discovered CosDNA, a website that analyzes the ingredients in makeup and skincare, and lets you know if the product is prone to breaking you out or causing irritation. I have listed a few products down below that have at least three ingredients listed that may cause acne.

Rare Beauty Positive Light Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen

This tinted moisturizer has at least five ingredients that are on the 1-3 scale in the acne category, and three ingredients that may cause irritation.

Kosas Revealer Super Creamy + Brightening Concealer and Daytime Eye Cream

This concealer has at least five ingredients that are on the 1-4 scale in the acne category.

Tower 28 Beauty BeachPlease Lip + Cheek Cream Blush

This LA-based brand’s blush has at least seven ingredients that are on the 1-3 scale in the acne category.

La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer UV SPF 30

This moisturizer has at least nine ingredients that are on the 1-3 scale in the acne category, and three in the irritant category.

Kylie Skin Walnut Face Scrub

The infamous face scrub has at least seven ingredients that are on the 1-5 scale in the acne category and four in the irritant category.

By no means does this list mean you should copmpletely avoid these products. Many of these brands have non-irritating and dermatologist-recommended products. However, if you are prone to breaking out or have sensitive skin you may have to research first. Make sure you use the CosDNA (https://cosdna.com) website if you suspect a product might be breaking you out or would like to check before purchasing.

Marieann is a second year student at Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles. She is a Spanish major and pursuing a teaching credential. As a native to LA, she loves to visit picturesque places and try new restaurants (sometimes the same yummy ones). Marieann loves creating content, both graphics and creative pieces. She loves fashion and has her own small, handmade jewelry business!