Coping with Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Anxiety does not have a day off. The stigma behind anxiety in society downplays the situation for the person with anxiety. Many children develop terrible coping habits when they become anxious. While I can joke about how I used to handle my anxiety as a child, as I reached my final year of high school I realized that these jokes were not funny. My freshman year I was diagnosed with anxiety by a professional. While my leadership-like abilities would have people second guess my anxious behavior, I’ve learned that people only display what they want others to know. But, if you are suffering from anxiety please seek your on campus therapist. While the first couple of sessions are free, it is always best to have the school refer you to someone off-campus so your time seeking help can be more private.

Understand that some days will be harder than the rest. But also give yourself some time to take each day one step at a time. The crippling anxiety some have, depending on the levels of anxiety they experience, can lead to a lot of self doubt at times. You’re doing amazing; whatever path you take just be aware you’re doing the best you can. One very good coping method is exercising. If you’re not able to talk to someone going on a run or to the gym, maybe even going to a boxing or yoga studio by your campus will make a difference. Soulcycle is very popular now and is a perfect way to sweat and work off some anxiety. Staying active can help keep negative thoughts away. When you work out it’s almost as if you’re turning your thoughts off and all you’re focusing on is your workout. A lot of campuses have workout classes and bootcamps; just go online and look for the times available.

Reading, whether a book or magazine, can really ease some tension from your day. My freshman year I would always be reading when people would see me. If I wasn’t working out I was reading. It would take my mind off of my day at the moment and allow me to invest in the character I’m reading about. Pro-tip: watch movies and old favorite tv shows; my go-to is Full House. The opening gets me every time, just like watching The Nanny. But finally, and this last tip is the best, taking a nap can do the trick most of the time. A lot of the time from the experiences I’ve had and hearing from others, when you’re not sleeping as much this will increase stress which will affect your anxiety. This will cause you to be high strung, therefore making you more groggy. When I’m not fully awake one thing could cause me to go in a spiral of anxiety and taking a nap sometimes improves my mood. But, the best tip I can give everyone is to go and speak with a professional, to have a good group of friends, and to understand anxiety is terrible dealing with, but you’ve made it this far in life so you’re clearly doing your best and you will continue to do so,

even if you don’t believe so.