Campus Profile: Emily Schukai

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I met Emily Schukai my first day at LMU and ever since then, my life has been lightened by her hilarious nature. She have a contagious smile, tells the greatest stories, has an amazing Instagram aesthetic, and is always down for an adventure (but if you take her to a Haunted House, she’ll scream “HI” at all the actors to make herself feel better). She gives the best advice and can always make you feel better, no matter how down you’re feeling. LMU is so lucky to have her! Let’s get to know the freshmen class, here’s Emily:

Major: Communication Studies with a Dance minor

Year: Freshman, Class of 2020

Hometown: Kansas City, Kansas

What’s your favorite thing about Kansas City? The fact that it’s such an underrated city. It’s so eclectic and there’s so many hidden treasures that even after living there for 18 years, I still can find so many new things to do. Also, I’ve never been to another place where people have so much pride for their city. People in KC rep our sports teams and just the city in general more than I think people do anywhere else!

What’s your favorite thing about Los Angeles? Well, Los Angeles has a very special place in my heart. I’ve grown up visiting this city at least once a year, if not more. I’ve even spent a couple summers out here doing dance programs for a month and living in the city. Los Angeles is just such a magical place. This might sound like such an out of state person statement but I think it’s so true. So many people come out here to pursue their dreams and the city provides them with so many opportunities to do so. It’s also such an eclectic and vibrant place with so much constantly going on. You can find pretty much anything out here, unlike in KC. If you’ve ever heard of a company or an interesting place you have to go to, then you’ll more than likely be able to find it in LA.

What would your ideal lifestyle look like? Being self-employed and on my own schedule. That way I can wake up when I want to, make myself some breakfast and coffee, do some chores, lounge around, then settle in to work when I’m ready. I feel I’m a very self-motivated, organized, and determined person that I would be able to get myself to work when I absolutely need to, without the structure of a 9-5 job. Working from home would be nice and comfortable. Also, I want to travel all over the world, and would want a flexible schedule that allowed me to do so.

We heard you’re a Style Guru for @CFashionista! How’s that? It’s really fun! I’ve never been one that’s super into fashion, but I’ve always liked getting ready in the morning, picking out my outfit, and shopping for new clothes. When I heard about the internship, I thought I’d apply and see what happens and then was so happy when I found out I got in! It’s super chill, in that it doesn’t take too much time to write a monthly article, but I enjoy reporting on all the different styles and outfits that I see. Hopefully, this internship will open up new doors and possibilities for future jobs as I would love to work in New York, doing something with a fashion/journalism company.

What are some of your favorite things to do?

● Dance

● Take pictures

● Play guitar

● Listen to music

● Go to Target

● Drive

● Eat

● Organize

● Make to do lists

● Check things off the do lists

● Watch Harry Potter

● Cuddle with my dog

● Volunteer

● Watch YouTube

● Watch Netflix

● Hang out with friends

● Drink coffee

What’s one thing you would tell your younger self? Your life is going to change, and life is going to suck sometimes for like .2 seconds, but all the positives in life completely outweigh all that. Be open to the change and trust that of it will lead you to a more authentic you.

What’s your favorite song? It’s a tie between Skyscraper by Demi Lovato and City of Angels by 30 Seconds to Mars

Why did you pick LMU? If I’m going to be completely honest, it wasn’t my first choice, but I’m so happy I ended up here! LMU is such a diverse campus and everyone you meet here is so nice and very well-rounded. No one has just the one thing they are good at which I think is so awesome! Also, the campus is beautiful and every single day I walk around campus and still can’t believe I go to school here and get to experience this. It reminds me how fortunate and blessed my life is.

Lizzie Bromley is a sophomore studying Journalism at Loyola Marymount University. She is in a sorority, CPC VP of Communications and Marketing, involved in Campus Ministry, and the VP of Social Media for Greek Light. She has passions for writing/blogging, spending time with her friends, and binge-watching The Office.
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.