Campus Celebrity: Lauren Froderman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Dancing diva, Lauren Froderman, was born and raised in Arizona, but found herself here in Southern California at LMU in the fall of 2011. This junior has an unmatched zeal for life, and is probably one of the most positive people on our campus. Although the nostalgic sight of a cactus might bring her to tears, you’ll most likely see her skipping and frolicking around campus because she truly knows how to dance to the beat of her own drum. Lauren believes that “happiness is going to look different for each person, but at the end of this life, all we have are ourselves, and we owe it to ourselves to make sure we leave this world happy.” Her fleeting happiness is contagious, and her family, Pi Beta Phi sisters, and tight-knit group of friends, who all help keep her grounded and inspired, would definitely agree. Not only is Ms. Froderman a smiling face around campus, but she is also a So You Think You Can Dance contestant and winner! We were able to speak with her about her dancing career and what that has meant to her and her future. She has some lofty goals, but with her blissful demeanor, we have no doubts that she will soar far past the stars!

What was your experience on So You Think You Can Dance like?/Would you ever compete in a dancing show again?

So You Think You Can Dance was the best experience of my life. It’s how I fell back in love with dance and the reason I knew I still wanted to pursue a professional dancing career. I made lifelong lasting friendships and although it was the most physically draining experiences of my life, it was also one of the most intrinsically rewarding. I would consider competing in a dance show again, but I know that no other job will ever compare to that one.

How did you use your background in dance to choreograph the winning dance for your sorority Pi Beta Phi at Lip Sync this year?

Funny enough, I don’t know if my background in dance helped me with choreographing Lip Sync. I mean obviously it helped in the sense that I was able to come up with dance moves for my sisters to do, but honestly we won this last year because of the creativity and collaboration that went on for months with my other choreographers, fellow Pi Phis Julie Cadena, Deanna Walker, and Grace Goodwin. We designed and choreographed the Lip Sync routines the past two years together, the first year winning second place, and this past year winning first. And I know I could never have done it without them.

Do you hope to pursue a career/future in dance?

Definitely! Getting a college degree has always been really important for me so while I’ve been in school my dancing has been limited to short jobs in the summer or winter and performing and teaching on weekends. But after I graduate, it will be back to dancing full time, which is what I did for a year between high school and coming to LMU. I don’t know what exactly that will have in store for me, but I know on my bucket list is to do a world tour with an artist!