Style

A Beginner’s Guide to Asian Fashion: YesStyle.com Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

For those of you who don’t know about YesStyle, think of it as an Asian Amazon. You can find everything from clothes, makeup, bags, shoes, to stationery, home ware, electronic stationery, and beyond. It is well-known for its wide selection of Asian beauty and fashion products from countries like Korea, Japan, and China, it’s (most of the time) cheap prices and sales, diverse shipping destinations, and not to mention the ridiculously adorable aesthetics of many of the products sold on its site. If you hop on there, you’ll see it for yourself. There’s literally nowhere else you can find hand-creams in jars the shape of chubby pandas , and highlighter pens the shape of medicine pills that are sold for generously cheap prices online and shipped for free all the way to North America.

Now, on the topic of style & fashion. I know I’m writing this for a majority Western/Non-Asian demographic. Just because you may not be from Asia or of Asian descent, that doesn’t mean you can’t wear Asian fashion. Truth be told, style has no race or ethnicity, and the only real limitation to wearing clothes, more often than not, is the size of the clothes that are made available to consumers. If you see a certain style of dressing that you feel resonates with your personality and the type of person you are or want to be, really, as long as they have your size, then there should be no reason for you to shy away from pursuing what you want. Those are my two cents at least.

On top of that, I also personally know a lot of people who would love to try experimenting with Asian fashion, but are too scared to try dressing in that manner in fear of potentially looking weird or like they’re “trying too hard.” They don’t know where and how to start. You might be here reading this article because you feel that way too. I’ve gathered a list of women’s clothing items from YesStyle that are not only reasonably cheap in price, but are also easy to pull off by anyone. These are clothes that are still considered  “Asian fashion” just not too overly obvious that it is where you would need to worry about other people noticing and criticizing you for it.

Heart Cutout Short-Sleeved T-Shirt   ​

Simple, casual with an adorable girly twist. It goes great with any bottoms and shoes you pair it with and comes in two universal colors of black and white. It is a common key trait in Asian fashion to take mundane articles of clothing such as any ol’ regular T-shirt and make it more interesting and exciting by adding on unique twists and accents onto it.

Bow Accent Chiffon Blouse

Back to what I said regarding adding unique twists and accents to clothing items, this is another example of what I meant by that. This is an ordinary blouse that you see women wear all the time to work or formal events, but add that little bow detail on the top front of it, and suddenly it stands out from the rest. Modest, chic, with a subtle hint of femininity. This is perfect for the office, or on days when you just want to feel like a #girlboss, and it comes in two colors of blue and white.

Print Crewneck T-Shirt

To me, nothing screams “stereotypical Asian girl clothing” like an oversized crew neck T-shirts with random minimalist phrases or images plastered right on the front of it. At this point, it’s honestly a staple in every Asian girl’s wardrobe. This is perfect for lazy days when you just want to wear something comfortable but still look cute. Just do a little French-Tuck (à la Tan France) into your jeans/pants/skirt, and I can almost guarantee you are going to end up looking like every other female protagonist on a K-drama show.

Two-Piece Pullover​

Wearing oversized tops are an aesthetic, not just in Asian fashion, but even here in the western world as well. In Asia, the reason why this is a popular style is that it makes us look skinnier than we actually are. That, and I guess it’s also really cozy.

Plaid Slim-Fit Pants

Is it just me, or do plaid pants just never seem to go out of style? At least in Asia, it never seems to. A pair of plaid pants is a great way to achieve that clean & preppy high-class look. I often see many Asian celebrities and artists wearing plaid, or even when I’m just casually walking down the streets of Shanghai or Beijing. It’s perfect for days when you want to give off that rich and sophisticated “I’ve got my sh*t together in life” kind of vibe. “Fake it till you make it,” right?

Student at the College of Business Administration, majoring in Entrepreneurship with a concentration in International Business and a minor in Accounting. Born and raised in Jakarta, Indonesia, now living in Los Angeles, California.