This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

The prominent figures we see in the media today always seem to have perfect and dewy skin. I always ask, “How can I get skin this perfect?” The honest answer: It all starts with being consistent with your skincare routine. Skincare is the most important and essential foundation to maintaining healthy and glowy skin. It not only makes your skin look extra flawless, but your makeup will look better.

As a young girl I would visit my family in Korea, a country where they take extensive care of their skincare. Going to a dermatologist for facials is a weekly event for most women in Korea. For me, going through my routine prepares me for bed and is actually calming. Also, sheet masking with friends while watching Netflix is always fun. Although there are millions of brands to get your skincare items from, I always gravitate towards Korean products. You might be asking “Why should I consider using Korean products on my skin?”. My answer to you is that not only are Korean products the most innovative containing the best ingredients, but they also come at a fair price. South Korean companies devote a lot of research and time into making their products one of the best in the market. For those of you who are new to Korean skincare, grab a snack cause you’re about to dive into a whole new world of skincare.

Korean skincare was first popularized and well known through the so called 10 Step Skincare Routine. Cleansing oil first, foam cleanser second, and the steps after. People are intimidated that in order to achieve flawless skin, you have to go through every step of this regime. But I am here to ensure that you DO NOT have to follow this long routine.

If you’re new to Korean skincare, I recommend beginning with a 3 or even 5 step routine. Take me for example: Every morning I wash my face with the Cosrx Low-Ph Good Morning Cleanser, Acwell Licorice pH Balancing Cleansing Toner, Neogen Real Ferment Micro Essence, Innis Free Green Tea Seed , and then Innis Free Bija Trouble Lotion (product only in Korea). My last step is probably the most important and that is sunscreen. At the end of the day, I use a foam cleanser by Lagom with the same toner, essence, and serum. At night, I use the Belif Aqua Bomb Moisturizer.

Since we all have different skin types I suggest looking at K-beauty websites such as Soko Glam, Peach and Lily, and Glow Recipe to find products catered towards your specific skin type. I specifically recommend Soko Glam because they sell curated skincare sets that range from 5 steps to 10 steps.

And there you have it! I hope you enjoyed this short but sweet article on the basics of Korean skincare. I’ll be back with more on K-beauty!

Hey, I'm Jackie! I'm a senior marketing major at LMU and love all things fashion and skincare!