5 Things We Can Learn From Katniss Everdeen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

“No one will forget me. Not my look, not my name. Katniss. The girl who was on fire.”

Warning: *Contains Spoilers*

1) I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T: Although Katniss is adored by and cares for both Peeta and Gale, when it comes down to it, a romantic relationship is not #1 on her to-do list. Katniss keeps busy surviving the Hunger Games and Quarter Quell, illegally hunting in District 12 to keep her family from starving, and being the face and symbol of the rebellion against the Capitol.  However, in comparison to other YA-novels or other teenagers and young adults in general, Katniss doesn’t strive to have a boyfriend or a relationship.  She might have feelings for Peeta and Gale, but acting on these feelings is not a top priority.  If Katniss lived in our society, she would not be swiping on Tinder or checking her phone repeatedly to see if she got a text from her bae. 

2) Protect The Ones You Love, No Matter What It Takes: From the moment Katniss first volunteers in her sister’s place during the Reaping until the last page of Mockingjay, Katniss puts her family and loved ones first; it is her top priority and motivation for any of her actions and when making any important decisions. Whether it’s for Rue, Prim, Peeta, Gale, or her mother, Katniss always strives to protect the people she loves, no matter what it takes.

3) Showing Emotion Is Not A Sign of Weakness, But A Sign Of Strength: When Katniss has an emotional breakdown or shows moments of vulnerability, it makes her a stronger and more likeable person.  Although the books are from Katniss’ point of view, moviegoers can see how letting people in, caring for others, and showing emotion can create positive consequences on Katniss as a character, whether it’s befriending young, innocent Rue, or showing the world how much she cares about Peeta by holding out a handful of berries. 

4) True Beauty Comes From Within: Coming from District 12, Katniss doesn’t really have the passion for crazy fashion and insane makeup like the citizens of the Capitol do.  However, Katniss shows her true beauty when she’s saving the world and protecting the ones she loves.  Yes, Jennifer Lawrence is gorgeous, but the strength and passion that Katniss contains as a character shines through the glitz of red eye shadow any and all the time. 

5) You Are More Powerful Than You Think: Think of Katniss as the Beyoncé of young adult novels and films: she is a strong, independent female character.  Not only is she feisty and a la Queen B, her physical abilities squash the claims that men are stronger than women. She tackles her enemies both in physicality and whit, with intellect and courage. She is an expert with a bow-and-arrow, and is the breadwinner of her family. Katniss can cry and mourn the death of a loved one while simultaneously kicking ass and winning the Hunger Games. She is #FLAWLESS.

See Jennifer Lawrence reprise her role as badass heroine Katniss Everdeen when The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 soars into theaters November 21, 2014.  

All images from Yahoo! Movies

Paige is a junior Communications Studies major and Journalism minor at Loyola Marymount University. Paige is a coffee lover, fitness fiend, and pop-culture addict. Born and raised close by in Orange County, this energetic blonde is known for her social media addictions and obsession with Hunger Games. Although Paige is twenty-one, she will happily choose a night with Netflix or Hulu over going out. Twitter is her number #1 bae, and she recommends you follow her at @paigencatton.