5 Reasons Why You Should Wake Up Earlier Than You Do Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

This article is not for the 7am or earlier risers, you guys are set. I am writing to those of you who prioritize a few extra minutes over everything else. I am a firm believer that sleep is one of the most important things you can give to your body, but, I also believe that changing your morning routine just a smidge can help you alot. This semester, my classes don’t start until 10 am, however I have trained myself to wake up at 6:30 everyday, and lemme tell you, it’s pretty freaking great. Here’s a few reasons why waking up earlier in the morning will benefit you. The list isn’t long, but it sure is mighty.

Number 1: The earlier you wake up in the morning, the easier it will be to fall asleep at night

It’s pretty obvious that the longer you are awake, the more sleep your body will want in order to recharge. So, get up early, and I promise you, falling asleep at night will be so much easier. You may be thinking, well if I wake up earlier, won’t I be tired all day? Ding ding ding! You are correct! You won’t be able to adapt to a routine right away, it takes time. Some little birdy told me that it takes 21 days to create a habit. So, it is true that in order to fall into a healthy pattern, you gotta stick with it for a while. Don’t worry, you got this! I believe in you!! Don’t you wanna be this baby at 10pm?

Number 2: You won’t have to rush

I am no stranger to waking up late, and I’m sure all of you have experienced this as well. So, we all know it doesn’t feel that great. If you train yourself to wake up early, your body will just get used to it, and sleeping in will be a thing of the past. Also, when it’s late and you’re late, it’s pretty likely that you’ll forgot something as you leave the door, and that’s obviously something we don’t want. Do yourself a favor and wake up earlier so you won’t have to pull a Michelle Tanner here.

Number 3: You have will have time to focus on yourself

Mornings are my favorite time of the day and that’s not just because I go to sleep at 9:30 and am not around to see the night time. It’s the start of a brand new day and for some reason everything seems to be a lot more peaceful. This is why I believe that you should use your mornings to pamper yourself. You can take pamper quite literally and whip out the spa supplies, but for me, I like to just take time to sit and be quiet for a second. It’s so easy to let our racing thoughts control our constant state, but knowing how to just stop and let your mind go still is really beneficial. You don’t have to be some crazy kombucha lovin’ hippie to join the mediation club; just pick a place to sit or lay down and give yourself at least 5 minutes to put your mind at ease. Just try your best to not fall back asleep, that would just put us back at step one.

Number 4: Breakfast!!!

Ok, but seriously. Who can turn away food? Its food!! If you wake up earlier in the morning, not only will you have more time to get yourself ready, but you will be able to actually sit down and enjoy the most important meal of the day. I do truly believe that breakfast is essential in having a good day, because it’s that food that your body will take its nutrients from to provide you with the energy you need to conquer the day. So, being able to sit down and give yourself at least 20 minutes to eat will totally start your day off right! And I mean, c’mon look at all these pancakes that could be in YOUR tummy :)

Number 5: A productive morning means a productive day

I’m a firm believer that starting your day on a positive note will continue on throughout the day. Whenever I am able to wake up early, I find that my day is just so much better. Sleeping in until 10 or 11 am means you have already missed a portion of the day, so why not get up and experience the full day? It’s also pretty likely that you will be able to get some work done in those wee hours of the morning, so the rest of your day can be spent doing the things you love! Let the mornings of being a boss begin.

Sleeping is honestly one of my favorite things ever, but I have come to realize that being able to get up at a reasonable hour in the morning will only benefit you. I’m not saying that you need to wake up at 6 am everyday if you don’t have to. But, I do think that if you want to have a fun filled and full day, it is in your interest to make a habit out of becoming an early bird. You don’t even have to wake up early everyday, but you definitely can incorporate early mornings into a few days out of the week. C’mon do it for Ry Ry <3