5 Non-Scary Halloween Movies You Have to Watch This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By: Ruby Clemons

It’s official… we’ve gotten through the first week of October! In my opinion, it’s one of the best months ever. It’s the beginning of Fall, there’s an abundance of pumpkin flavored everything, “spooky season,” fun costumes, and best of all: Halloween movies! No matter where you are, there’s nothing better than finding a nostalgic movie to watch on a cool October night. While I do appreciate a good scary movie every now and then, sometimes a childhood favorite is the way to go.

1. Practical Magic

October 16, 1998

First up we have the wonderfully witchy Practical Magic. Let me start you off strong: Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. Need I say more? Yes I do actually. I love this movie too much to stop there.
Based on the novel by Alice Hoffman, the movie focuses on two witch sisters—Gillian (Nicole Kidman) and Sally Owens (Sandra Bullock). After the death of their parents, sisters Gillian and Sally move to a small town on an island off the coast of Massachusetts, to go and live with their two eccentric aunts in their ancestral home, the Owens House. Throughout the movie, the Owens family faces love-lost, new romances, close-minded and prejudiced townsfolk, and a curse that threatens to prevent every woman in the Owens family from ever finding—and keeping—an everlasting love.

It’s a beautiful story with both funny and tear-jerking moments. And of course, just the right amount of practical magic.

You can find Practical Magic on HBO Max, Prime Video, Vudu, Apple TV, and Redbox.

2. Hocus Pocus

July 16, 1993

Next on the list, we have another witchy classic: Hocus Pocus. If you don’t know this movie, I am crying for you. This is absolutely a must-watch. And I’ll tell you why…

Hocus Pocus follows the three villainously comedic Sanderson sisters, Winifred (Bette Midler), Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker), and Mary (Kathy Majimy).

After being caught in their witchly act of stealing the lives of children to remain young and beautiful, the Sanderson sisters are hanged for their crimes. But before their deaths, the Sanderson sisters are able to come up with a curse: should a virgin light the Black Flame Candle on All Hallows Eve, they would be resurrected. Then, 300 years later on a fateful Halloween night back in Salem, Massachusetts, teenager Max Dennison (Omri Katz), hoping to impress a crush, lights the Black Flame Candle. Not believing in the curse, he expects nothing to happen, until…

Annnd the rest is up for you to figure out when you go watch the movie! You will get to see romance, comedy, family reunited, new friendships, and so much more. It’s a beautifully nostalgic and perfect Halloween movie that hits the spot!

You can find Hocus Pocus on Disney+, Prime Video, and Vudu.

3. Hocus Pocus 2

September 30, 2022

Yes I know this movie came out a week ago, but the Sandersons sisters are back! So of course I had to include this on the list.

It’s been 30 years since Max Dennison lit the Black Flame Candle for the first time, and all is well. That is until a new candle is made, and history undoubtedly repeats itself. It’s now up to a different group of kids to stop the child-hungry witches from once again wreaking havoc on Salem, and the world.

Definitely go watch Hocus Pocus 2 if you loved the first movie. The Sanderson sisters are just as hilarious in 2022 as they were in 1993!

As of right now, you can stream Hocus Pocus 2 solely on Disney+, but it should be coming out to other streaming services in the future.

4. Nightmare Before Christmas

October 13, 1993

I know I keep saying this, but Nightmare Before Christmas is yet another classic. And of course, I had to add some animated movies onto this list. Now, I know that there is a lot of debate over whether or not this is actually a Halloween movie. But you know what’s great about that? You can watch it twice! Once in October to celebrate its Halloween spirit, and then again in December to appreciate its ode to Christmas.

This movie centers around the main character, Jack Skellington (voiced by Danny Elfman), who is the beloved Pumpkin King of Halloweentown. However, after years of scaring people out in the ‘real world,’ Jack wants to find something new, something different. So it’s perfect when he stumbles upon Christmastown, and decides that his jolly holiday is just the change he needs in his life. After kidnapping Santa Claus, Jack does his best to try and take over Christmas, but soon discovers he may not have what it takes.

I have watched this movie countless times and it never gets old!

You can stream The Nightmare Before Christmas on Disney+!

5. The Corpse Bride

September 16, 2005

Last but certainly not least, we have another animated movie: The Corpse Bride. I was obsessed with this movie when I was a kid, and I still am today. It’s beautiful, haunting, poetic, and (who wants to guess what I’m going to say?) a classic.

The dramatic story follows Victor (voiced by Johnny Depp), who has found himself in an arranged marriage with Victoria (voiced by Emily Watson) after both their families agreed it would financially benefit everyone. Victor, nervous for the ceremony, goes to a forest to practice his vows and accidentally becomes betrothed to Emily—the corpse bride who was murdered after eloping with her love. This unforeseen circumstance came about when Victor finished his vows and placed the ring on a finger looking branch that happened to belong to the actual hand of Emily. She then takes Victor to the land of the dead to properly marry him there, while his bride-to-be is still in the land of the living. There is an urgency to get back above ground though, because the longer it takes for Victor to marry Victoria, the closer she is to marrying another man who would help Victoria’s family financially—the villainous Barkis Bittern to be exact.

To watch The Corpse Bride you can view it on Prime Video, HBO Max, Vudu, Apple TV, and Redbox.

Talking about all these movies has made me want to curl up in bed with some pumpkin tea and Oreos, so I can go watch all these beautiful movies myself! Enjoy the movies, and have a scary October!

Teniola is a Senior Entrepreneurship major from Boston, Massachusetts. She is interested in writing about beauty, trending topics, lived experiences, fitness, and overall health!