Life > Academics

5 Goals To Help You Get Through Your First Semester Back On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

After one year and six months of lockdowns and many Zoom sessions, we have finally made back to LMU’s beautiful campus. Many of us were away for most of last year, so it may be very difficult to get back into the groove of attending classes everyday. Courses on Zoom made things more convenient for us and may have led us to develop new habits, which definitely affect the way we operate. For the past two weeks, many students have thrived but also struggled to get back into the pre-pandemic way of life. Before returning to campus, I set some goals for myself that have made my transition into in-person university much easier.

WAKE UP EARLY

Waking up early makes you very productive. This goal is pretty straightforward. It is true that some of us have to wake up early anyways for 8:00 a.m. classes, but aside from that, waking up a few hours before heading to school can be beneficial in so many ways. First of all, it takes a while for all of us to fully wake up and become energized, which is why a lot of people have a hard time focusing in morning classes. Waking up early allows us to take time to relax, stretch, check our phones, meditate or even stare at the ceiling until we are strong enough to get out of that. When the hardest part is over, we suddenly find ourselves having so much energy that we may want to workout or do homework or just enjoy a nice breakfast on the balcony, rather than frantically rushing around the house 15 minutes before the start of a class.

STAY ACTIVE THROUGHOUT THE DAY

Physical activity, especially in LA weather, can always result in a good mood. It heals us mentally and physically, which is very crucial when attending college and taking up to 18 units. It is important to disconnect from the real world, since it is very easy to become overwhelmed by everything that goes on in today’s world. What is appreciated about physical activity is how it can put anyone in a good mood very quickly. This results in motivation and interest, which could definitely boost your performance in your classes and daily routine.

Push yourself to socialize with people

Being mostly at home for a year straight has given a lot of us a new comfort zone, which is, unfortunately, hard to get out of. We have become comfortable talking to people virtually and spending time cooped up in our own rooms, so the concept of seeing classmates, acquaintances, friends, and professors in person on a daily basis tends to become somewhat stressful. However, it is important to understand that most of us are in the same boat meaning that we’re all going to have a hard time reaching out to people, especially new ones. The idea of it almost seems strange, but let’s not forget that having different connections can not only make you busier and open more doors for you, but it also helps to become more motivated. Having people to study with, hangout with, or just talk to can make a big difference in the whole college experience. We already missed out on so much this past year, so it’s important to get back out in the world and meet different people.

Keep your life organized

One thing many of us have forgotten is how busy life is when we attend college in person. Back in quarantine, all we had to do was roll out of bed and log onto Zoom. But now, with everything being open again and on-campus clubs/organizations starting events, we catch ourselves running around all day. So, how do we manage and remember everything? The answer is very simple: Set reminders and get yourself a planner. Many of us think that we can remember every single event or deadline in our brains, when in reality, we forget a lot of them, which can result in failure and procrastination. Another important thing one can do is learn the concept of time management. It is not the easiest at first, but being able to set limits and strict times can in fact give us just enough time to complete everything on our agenda and makes life less nerve-racking.

Do more things that motivate you

It is very challenging to suddenly switch from a virtual life back to what used to be “normal”. Sometimes it can be draining and we may find ourselves questioning everything that happens around us. Taking care of ourselves and focusing on our personal goals is very crucial, especially when we are constantly running around all day long. But to prioritize ourselves, we need to find things that motivate us. This can be doing a specific sport, listening to music, reading books, or just talking to people we look up to. This is different for every individual, so it is good to remember not to compare ourselves to others, and find our incentives on our own.

I am originally from Tehran/Iran, but live between there, Los Angeles, and Paris, France. I grew up in Iran and went to two European Schools, which is why I now speak four languages. I am a sophomore at Loyola Marymount University. I am a Communication Studies Major and a Spanish Minor.
Nikki is a senior at LMU from Honolulu, Hawai'i and is majoring in Communications Studies with minors in Journalism and Health and Society. She is also the president of Her Campus LMU.