5 Book/Series Recommendations to Read While Social-Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Sometimes curling up with a good book is exactly what you need. During this time of cancelations and worry, escaping into a story or a new world can turn your day around. Here is a list of some of my top choices to help you get through this time of social distancing. 

1.​​ Harry Potter by JK Rowling

This is an obvious one, but it never fails to bring me joy. Whether you have read Harry Potter a dozen times or never picked up the series, these are great books to turn to during this time. I would tell you what it’s about, but for this one, I hope you would already know. 

2. The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

This trilogy of books follows main character Tessa Grey in Victorian Era London. It is a fun and compelling read about her living with a group of shadowhunters (demon hunters) and their adventures. It is a story of romance, adventure, action, humor, and heartbreak. It is a prequel to The Mortal Instrument series, but is far superior in my opinion. This one is a must-read if you are looking for two amazing male leads and an independent woman coming of age and kicking butt. 

3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephine Perkins

The title is terrible, I’ll give you that, but don’t let that stop you from picking up this sweet and funny novel. This book follows Anna as she is forced to go to boarding school in Paris. This novel just makes your heart happy and is very easy to slip into. Also, it is not too much of a commitment if you don’t have too much time to spare. 

4. The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

This is a book I listened to recently on audible, and let me tell you it was amazing. This book is a psychological thriller about a woman’s act of violence against her husband and the therapist who is trying to discover her motive. I don’t want to reveal too much because it is a great read to go into blind, but it is full of twists and turns and will always keep you guessing. If you love thrillers and mysteries, you should definitely pick this novel up!

5. Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe

This one is for those history buffs or nonfiction readers out there. This book explores the bitter conflict known as ‘The Troubles’ in Northern Ireland. After studying abroad in Cork Ireland last semester I picked up this book to help me understand more of the division there and its history. I had never been a nonfiction reader but this book is so well done it was better than many fiction novels. It is extremely interesting and I think everyone should look into it. I promise it will be worth the try, even if you aren’t too excited about history and nonfiction. 

I hope this list helps you find some good books to sink your teeth into during this time. Though it is in no way encompassing of all my recommendations, there should be a book series for everyone to try. Please stay safe and healthy!

Hi I’m Sara Pool. I am a English and journalism double major at LMU. I love writing and blogging, especially about food! In my free time I love going to the beach and playing volleyball.
Her Campus LMU