5 Bands and Artists You Need in Your Life Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

In need of some new artists or bands to spice up your playlists? Tired of listening to the same songs all the time? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you are in the right place! I have done some investigating and have compiled a list of some incredible and underrated artists that will have you singing your heart out!

#1: Cigarettes After Sex

Composed of Greg Gonzalez, Phillip Tubbs, Jacob Tomsky, and Randy Miller, Cigarettes After Sex’s music is filled with dreamy vocals that will make you swoon. With songs like “Nothing’s Gonna Hurt You Baby” and their most recently released single “Crush,” it is no wonder that Cigarettes After Sex has been around the indie music since 2012.

#2: The Neighbourhood

I’m sure we can all remember the biggest hit of 2013, “Sweater Weather.” It truly was the indie rock gem we didn’t know we needed that year. The Neighbourhood became a household name after the release of their first album, I Love You., and have since toured around the world and performed at many music festivals. Their most recent self-titled album is full of electronic-infused, alternative rock that is perfect for any mood.

#3: Blood Orange

Blood Orange, also known as Devonté Hynes, is an artist best known for his groovy, nostalgic take on the indie rock genre. His newest album is filled with songs, like “Chewing Gum”, featuring A$AP Rocky, and, “Hope”, featuring Diddy: all songs that will have you wanting to drive with the windows down.

#4: Jorja Smith

Jorja Smith, a.k.a the queen herself, is a 21 year old British R&B singer, who has a voice almost as timeless as the lyrics she sings. Her songs are filled with raw emotions, from first loves to first heartbreaks. She has collaborated with artists like Kali Uchis and Drake. You’ll definitely want to belt out every lyric from her first full-length album, Lost and Found.

#5: Kali Uchis

Last, but not definitely not least, is Colombian singer-songwriter Kali Uchis. Her unique vocals and funky songs make for the perfect addition to any playlist. Not only does she write her own songs, but she also directs her own music videos! Her latest album Isolation proved to be a huge success and included collaborations with Steve Lacy, Tyler the Creator, and Jorja Smith. Her one-of-a-kind style, songs, and voice make her an artist you will not want to miss out on!

Enjoy this Spotify playlist I made with some of these artist’s best songs!!

Year: Senior Major: Journalism Interests: Film, fashion, music, the 1970s, political activism, pop culture, and exploring around Los Angeles!