Obsession Confession: Azealia Banks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Recently, while browsing through P4k’s Top 100, I came across a potty-mouthed, feisty gem of a rapper. And thus, my obsession was born. Azealia Banks is not only the freshest and newest female rapper out there; she’s the real deal. When listening to “212”, it is hard to ignore her blatant vulgarity but it just sounds so right against the electro-pop tune and multi-layered beats.  The video for her debut single is simple yet captivating, with the Harlem native clad in a Mickey Mouse sweater and worn jean shorts – chic, iconic, and definitely obsess-worthy.

If you find yourself wanting more from Banks know that her much anticipated debut album, Broke with Expensive Taste, comes out this September.  Also, check out her other singles like “Liquorice”, “Bambi”, and “NEEDSUMLUV.”   

Don’t be fooled by the young MC’s bug-eyed expressions and multiple, characteristic voices; she is no Nicki Minaj. Although there are subtle similarities between the two, there is a raw and biting talent in Banks that just cannot be compared to any female rapper in the business. This leaves Banks raging a foreboding threat that could very well act as a wake-up call for all those who inhabit the female MC realm — “B*tch, the end of your lives are near/ This sh*t been mine, mine.”