Joanna Warren: Treasurer for Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Name: Joanna Warren

Year: Senior

Major: Biology and International Relations

Minor: Health, Medicine and Society

Role in Relay for Life: Exec Board – Treasurer

Why did you get involved with Relay for Life? 3 out of 4 of my grandparents have had cancer; 2 have beaten it and one is currently still fighting it. It has affected my family, friends, and friends of friends. When I first learned about Relay in 8th grade, I was moved to fundraise for cancer research in hopes that a cure would be found in the nearby future. When I found out Lehigh also had a Relay for Life, I jumped on board, and have continued to fundraise in hopes that further cancer research will eventually find a way to prevent cancer from occurring, and to find more effective means to combat it.

What have you learned while working on Relay? I have learned that everyone has a different story with cancer. No matter how different we are as individuals, cancer is a disease that knows no boundaries and affects us all, on one level or another.

What is your goal for relay? My personal goal for relay is to continue raising awareness about cancer and the impact that fundraising can have on cancer research. I want to encourage the Lehigh community to continue fundraising and to take action against this horrible disease.