Work Hard, Play Hard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

So the summer holidays have come and gone, Freshers’ week is over, and the real work begins…sniff sniff…. Now comes the reading, the essay writing, the coursework blah blah blah…

So how can the average student attempt to make the most of their university experience by working hard and playing hard without running themselves to the ground?

Is the ‘work hard play hard’ ideology even possible when the two are clearly inseparable? Is it just an excuse for bad partying habits? Or is it a motto that helps deal with getting the stressful things out of the way and simply celebrating after?

In life there will always be those who work hard without partying and those who party and don’t work hard at all. It works for some, but for the average person the main focus should be a sensible balance.

So here some advice tips of how to go about doing that…

1. Once in a lifetime experience. You will only be at this university surrounded by this particular group of people once in your life, so make the most of it. Get involved in societies and engage with this awesome city. Ensure enough quality time for course mates, housemates and friends – you may look back and wish you had done, instead of spending hours locked up reading in your room.

1. Get your priorities straight. At the end of the day, we’re all in university to get a degree. So figure out what’s important to you in terms of career prospects and where you would like to see yourself in the future. Attending a few career events may help you set yourself a future goal.

1. Time management and Planning. Research your modules and know what exactly is expected of you. This avoids the shock of feeling that you’ve received much more work than expected. Get to know when and how you work best, and whether you’re the kind of person who needs a disciplined work schedule, or one that mixes work and play?

1. Don’t give up on things you love to do. It’s important not to sacrifice things you love to do for work. Whether it be swimming, dancing or playing in a band, your hobbies and interests make you who you are and it would be daft to sacrifice them! Everyone has degrees these days and employers aren’t looking for a book worm! They want people who are creative, innovative and have a bit of personality, so continuing your hobbies will actually benefit you.

1. Learn to say No. The phrase ‘You can’t have your cake and eat it’ comes to mind. In a buzzing city like Leeds, something exciting and new is always going on. If you’re anything like me, you may suffer from a severe case of FOMO (Fear of missing out) and want to get involved in everything. So engage in the things that mean the most to you and learn to turn down the rest.

1. Never underestimate the importance of Sleep! Sleep is not only beautifying and refreshing but vital for learning and memory. Sleep will provide you with enough energy to maintain the work/fun balance.

1. Don’t leave work until the day before it’s due. It causes unnecessary stress and anxiety which could result in the work not being at the standard that you want. Do the work a couple of days before and then relax whilst everyone else is stressing out.

1. Regular Breaks! In-between studying, take regular breaks to keep the motivation going and avoid stress. Regular breaks make time pass quicker and maintain your attention. Regular breaks are also small treats to look forward to in-between studying!

1. Make Studying fun! Music can be used as relaxation and having snacks close by can be helpful. Whack out some cool stationery, your best pens and highlighters. Or be interactive and use flash cards, draw or use mnemonic devices. At the end of the day it’s all about you and how you learn so do whatever suits you.

1. ME TIME! ‘Me Time’ is essential for your overall emotional well being. It’s important to have time just for you to ensure you don’t ‘burn out’ or go mad. Whether it’s reading a book, a newspaper or simply just lying down on a sofa make sure ‘Me Time’ becomes a priority in your day-to-day activities.