Why I’d rather be single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

February the 14th. It’s here again; that age old day of love. The perfect excuse for you and that special someone to commemorate your love to each other and mark the truly momentous occasion that is Valentine’s Day. Unless, of course, you’re single like me. It can make it seem like on Valentine’s Day everyone has a partner and spends the day declaring their undying love for each other in more and more elaborate ways! But after much consideration and many years of spending the day of romance alone, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d much rather be single on Valentine’s Day, and here are my reasons why:

1.       You don’t have to waste your money buying soppy presents and cards that you don’t even want/need/can’t afford. Think of the amount of times you’ve bought someone a really nice card, then they open it, look at it adoringly for all of 10 seconds, before it ends up in the bin; or gets recycled by those of us who are a bit more eco-friendly. Similarly, you can avoid spending fortunes on the ‘perfect present’, which would only receive the equivalent of say a Haribo ring from your other half! They say it’s the thought that counts and you shouldn’t give to receive, but secretly we DO give to receive! It only ends in tears when they haven’t spent nearly the same amount of time, effort or money on you, unless of course they have a valid reason or you’re just an overly generous person (with more money than sense!).

2.       Can’t be bothered with making the effort to dress up and go out? Well you don’t have to! Think of how much more fun it would be to sit on the sofa, in your onesie, all snuggly and cosy. You can watch unlimited amounts of romantic comedies, reality shows, and soaps – anything you wish. Accompanied by some Ben and Jerry’s, lots of sweets, chocolate and anything else sugar filled, without anyone else to worry about, makes it the perfect night in. Your friends might even want to come round to make it into a giggly girly night, even better.

3.       This brings me on to my third reason. Who needs a man when your girls are the ones that will always be there for you no matter what? If you and your closest girlies fancy the ultimate anti-valentines night, then just go for it! Get your girls together, get glammed up and hit the town, making sure you enjoy a few cheeky cocktails and show all the boys exactly what they’re missing!

4.       Valentine’s Day always seems to be one of those days where you’re automatically labelled as a ‘couple’, even if it’s just the early stages. Well, being single means you can avoid being someone’s girlfriend and instead you can just be you. It seems to be even worse on Valentine’s Day too as people begin to refer to you and your partner as one. Whereas being single lets you keep your individual identity and prevents you from being branded as one person. After all, we are all unique.

5.       Further to the ‘uniqueness’ point, most couples will plan to go out for a nice meal on Valentine’s Day, or at least go out somewhere. Wherever they go, they will no doubt be surrounded by yet more couples. So surely, that means that on what is meant to be a very romantic day where you should be sharing your love with just that one special person; you’ll actually just be doing the exact same thing as everyone else. A very ‘special’ and endearing moment … I think not! At least by being single it shows how fantastically unique and truly special you are!

6.       This next reason might just be one of the best reasons of all. Being single definitely means you’re free to have a wandering eye! If you want to gaze at that ultra-hot guy for far longer than necessary, then there’s no one to stop you. You’re single and free to do as you wish. If you’re feeling brave enough why not even flirt a little! You’re not hurting anybody. Who knows, maybe it’ll be cupid’s arrow hitting you this time round!.

7.       Remember, you may be single while all your friends may be in relationships, but that doesn’t mean that they’re necessarily happy in those relationships! Valentine’s Day may just add to the stress of being together for a lot of couples as they feel they have something to prove. Being single means you don’t have that problem, you’re probably happier and feel less lonely than some people who are in a relationship.

8.       Finally, if all of the previous reasons aren’t enough to make you see why you’re better off being single, then I have one last point to make. Apparently, the singletons out there are actually considered to be more sociable and have better nights out! National statistics suggest this is why more and more people are opting to stay single on Valentine’s Day. So surely this makes you a trendsetter, right? Therefore, you can tell all your loved up friends that they may be getting a nice tacky gift from their partner on February 14th, but they’re certainly not having as much fun as you are on any nights out!

So if you’re worrying about Valentine’s Day this year and you’re single, in my opinion you are far better off! Why would you want to be in a relationship after considering all the things that makes being single so great? No stress, no worry and a whole day to celebrate yourself. Maybe they should give Valentine’s Day a new little nickname known as ‘Single&Happy Day’! All of the singletons out there in favour of this raise both your hands in the air – after all you have both hands free as you haven’t got one tied down to someone else’s.

Image sources:

1

2

3