What is Your Perfect Type of Guy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to take part in the ‘Take Me Out’ RAG event, which was such a funny experience (apart from getting my light turned off)! In spite of some moments being what I can only describe as actually cringe -worthy, it taught me a lot. The girls were so picky and mostly judged everything on face value. This got me thinking about TYPE. This question has always been asked by my friends, “What is your perfect type?” It always makes me have a think, before describing all the features my perfect guy MUST have. When I was younger this list had so many attributes to it. My dream boy would have been a surfer boy, with blonde hair and a sweeping fringe, a body to die for and the most amazing personality. Everyone would love him and we would be the perfect couple. One of my best friends actually told me the other day that she put “having his own car” high up on her list. 

Girls are completely hypocritical sometimes; we criticise boys for being superficial but then we can be as well.  I read magazines religiously every week and they are plastered with the supposed ‘perfect men for me.’ I’m not going to deny that I love looking at pictures of beautiful torsos, particularly Channing Tatum, but this is not real life. How likely is it that I am going to stumble into one of these specimens on Call Lane? There is an idealistic view of the ‘perfect man’ and I think we need a reality check.  

Believe me, I have met a lot of different boys in my life and I could write a novel on all my experiences (my friends can vouch for that!) All the guys have been completely different ‘types’ but they all have ended up the same way. I went through a phase of loving a bad boy and no matter how badly he treated me, I was hooked. The phrase ‘treat them mean, keep them keen,’ definitely worked! I look back at it now and can’t believe I was so into him that I didn’t even care how I was being treated. I don’t regret it, but I wish I had opened myself up to new opportunities. I was so focused on how hot he was and the small amount of times he was nice to me, that I didn’t think that I deserved someone better.  

I had an experience of the ‘shy guy’ that girls usually like because they are ‘different’ to the others. It turns out in the end that they are not. I liked this guy during my two years of college and was convinced that we would get together. I was just myself, as I didn’t want to play the conventional games, but this didn’t work either. This boy used to stare at me all through my lessons and I was flattered. I thought this was a signal to start texting him and getting to know him, but him and his friends didn’t think I was good enough. One embarrassing moment which I can laugh about now is when I forced myself on him at my 18th birthday party and he was not impressed. That was the best night, sitting on my best friends’ lap crying. I definitely learned something there!  At the time I was really upset I and I wish sometimes I hadn’t wasted all that time just on him, however I learned a lot from this experience and it made me stronger in myself.  (Even when I see him now, he still thinks I am obsessed with him!)

This year, however, I have had an ephinany; my best friends are still in shock!

2012 is all about new beginnings and a new type of boy. My list has changed. Another one of my friends said the hottest thing about a boy is that he must make her laugh. At University you meet so many people and you can really see what you find attractive. The best ones are those that have a great sense of humour and an infectious personality that lights up the room. The boy that puts a smile on your face every time you see them, the one you just love spending time with and who maybe even has a hint of ‘geekiness’ about them.  I also love it when someone is so passionate about something or has a talent. This boy is someone who you are happy to call one of your close friends, but you are also really attracted to.

So after reading this brief essay of my romantic life, I want you to learn some things. Firstly, stay away from your conventional type and think about the person you can have an amazing day with. Secondly, don’t force yourself on someone as it doesn’t always turn out the way you want!  

So going back to the original question:
Q: What is your perfect type?
A: Anyone who puts a smile on my face.

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.