What We Love Most About Being Women! – International Women’s Day Series

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

What We Love Most About Being Women!

Adrita:

Paradoxically, being a woman is one of my favourite things about being a woman. However, womanhood does come with inevitable ups and downs. I believe a girl starts her journey of being a woman during her teen years, especially between 13 and 17. It is that time in a girl’s life when she develops her opinions. She is not always willing to bend her ways according to what others want, and she starts to have her say and, rightfully, fights for her independence. But it is also an era when a girl might think she knows everything that an adult probably does, and unfortunately, that is not the case. Physical growth is one of the main things we go through during this time. Our body develops. We start to look more mature and undergo almost every hormonal change. In my experience, the leading development that took part in my journey to adulthood was menstruation. Incidentally, this will be an element of my life for a long time. My cycle has made me feel even stronger as a woman. I can do everything that a man can do while bleeding. This defines nothing but women’s immense strength. We can juggle studies, work, and our daily responsibilities, all while going through a river of mood swings and constant pain in our bodies. 

Another thing I love about being a woman is that we are outstanding examples of multi-taskers. We know exactly how to juggle our personal and professional lives together. We fulfil our duties and take charge of our responsibilities on both sides. Whether looking after our parents or our children or completing our tasks by the required deadlines at our workplaces, we can do it all. I believe we excel at maintaining a healthy work-life balance. This makes us more productive and enhances our work performance. Women are focused, motivated, and capable of delivering our best efforts in both fields. This also projects the two sides of our personalities. On the one hand, we can be assertive and commanding, taking charge of our duties and ensuring they are completed. Yet, we also nurture a very soft and compassionate nature within us. Women know how to be loving, caring, gentle and kind. We exhibit both sides of our personalities as and when they are required. We are emotionally versatile and balance them out in our daily lives.  

I like to believe that every day is Women’s Day, but since we have a special day marked on our calendars to celebrate women worldwide, we also need to celebrate one remarkable woman in our lives. I would like to take that opportunity to thank my mother, who taught me how to become a woman. She has shown me how powerful women can be in their lives and how hyper-independent we can become with our strengths and efforts. She has taught me the pleasures of being a woman and has given me the best girlhood I can ask for. Growing up, I have looked up to her heavily, and I firmly believe that if I can achieve even one-tenth of as much as she has achieved in her life, I will consider myself successful and immensely grateful. 

Grace:

What I love about being a woman is the bonds we make with other women throughout our lives. Female friendships carry so much love and mutual respect; being in club toilets surrounded by drunk girls just having fun and chatting, always willing to make new friends. We are united as women by our struggles. I find it so comforting to be capable of bonding with fellow girls about any problems, be it relationship struggles, periods or general emotions. My girl group is so important to me, and I know we always have each other’s backs and can always cheer each other up if one of us is feeling down. 

Another thing I love about being a woman is my relationship with my mother and, more broadly, my female family members. I know I can go to my mum about anything; she will always support me through thick and thin. My mum is one of 6 girls, meaning I have a lot of aunties. When we’re all together, I can feel the atmosphere’s relaxed and comfortable, and I always have so much fun chatting with them. Even though we jokingly refer to my family as a matriarchy, it feels good to have such strong and empowered women around me that I have grown up with. It has definitely taught me to be an independent and confident woman myself!

Edited by Aimee Missen

Campaigning for the protection of women and radical feminism.
Hello! I am Adrita Barua. I am 22 years old and I am currently pursuing my Post Graduation Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds. Writing has been a part of me since I was 14. I have always enjoyed the art of writing stories, poems, and even songs at times. I started journaling at an early age to record my daily activities and soon enough, I started doing the same to express my innermost feelings and to preserve my secrets. I have been a fan of reading as well, especially crime novels and hence, Agatha Christie and Sidney Sheldon will always be on the top of my list! I started working as a Writer and at times, as an Editor, during my Undergraduate years and soon realized my passion for them. I am extremely happy to join Her Campus Leeds and I am hoping to create some of my best work here!