TV Blog: What Was On This Week?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a happy New Year, especially since there was plenty of great television on for everyone to enjoy! Some of my personal favourites were the Christmas special of Strictly Come Dancing, Sherlock and Big Fat Quiz of The Year.

However, undoubtedly, my biggest television highlight of January was Celebrity Big Brother. To those who didn’t watch- where were you?!- and to those that did, I have decided to choose my top 3 moments from the series, as I am definitely missing my daily CBB fix at the moment!

My top 3 moments in this year’s Celebrity Big Brother:

1. Lee Ryan’s inability to have ‘one love’

I don’t think anyone imagined ‘Lee from Blue’ to be one of the main sources of anger and controversy when he entered the house back on January 3rd. The singer has often been involved in tabloid drama, as he himself admitted that he often fails to think before he speaks at times, and this undoubtedly was the case for him during his time in the Big Brother house. Lee managed to embroil himself in a love triangle-no, I don’t know how he does it either…-with Casey Batchelor (a glamour model) and American actress Jasmine Waltz (Wikipedia her, you won’t find much evidence of ‘acting’). The love triangle between the three captured the attention of the public: as bumbling Lee went round in circles deciding which girl he fancied, with the public yelling at their screens in frustration at the fact either of them were attracted to Lee at all. Oh well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, and Lee’s chance of winning was quickly scuppered as he emerged in seventh place, to a sea of well-deserved boo’s.

1. Ollie Locke and Lionel Blair’s bromance

I was a bit unsure about the way in which the show started, with each of the 12 celebrities paired off and handcuffed to one of their fellow housemates. However, if this hadn’t have happened, we may never have seen the unlikely bromance that formed between Ollie Locke (of Made in Chelsea fame), and legendary octogenarian entertainer, Lionel Blair. Both equally camp and kitsch in their mannerisms, the two bonded almost immediately, and their little chats in the garden and overall banter with one-another made me want them to remain handcuffed for the entirety of the series.

1. Jim Davidson’s one liners

Jim Davidson consistently divided opinions on this year’s CBB, however, love him or hate him, he was crowned winner of the show. I liked Jim’s honesty and straight to the point attitude from the start, but it was his one liners that really had me in stitches. For example, when asked in the diary room: ‘How could this night get better?’ Jim responded: ‘I could die.’ Another time Jim was fed up about the younger housemates keeping him up, and he angrily muttered under his breath: ‘Roll on death’, which probably shouldn’t have made me laugh as much as it did. A well-deserved winner in my eyes, because despite a well-documented controversial past, he was a very funny (good job he is a comedian) and highly honest person, whose arguments and antics made him entertaining to watch.

HOT topic:

I am personally an avid Eastenders fan, and have kept watching it throughout the dry periods, but I have to say that with the introduction of more Carters to the square, it has immediately become a more interesting show.

My hot topic for this week is: Has the arrival of Danny Dyer single-handedly boosted Eastenders’ ratings, or is it the new family and different storylines in general?

Personally, I think it’s a combination of Mr Dyer being easy on the eye, and the adorably ugly family dog, Lady Di. I have particularly enjoyed scenes with Shirley and Lady Di together: the angrier Shirley becomes with the dog, the more the dog disobeys her, and it is brilliant that Eastenders has finally injected a bit of comedy back into the show.

By Ella Duffy

Image Sources:

http://i4.cdnds.net/14/05/618×382/cbb-lee-ryan-casey-batchelor-jasmine-waltz.jpg

http://i8.cdnds.net/14/02/450×450/screen-shot-2014-01-07-at-115057.jpg

http://images.ok.co.uk/1389741366_JIM-1.gif

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/ad_122107700.jpg%3Fw%3D650%26h%3D974%26crop%3D1

My name is Ella Duffy, I'm 22 years old and a recent graduate from the University of Leeds. Proudly once was co-president for Her Campus Leeds!