Traveling Abroad in a Safe, Smart, and Fun Manner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This past month, I unexpectedly learned certain things as an inexperienced traveler in countries I never thought I’d be able to visit. It was an eye-opening experience, whether it was the landscapes, the food, the general language, or the culture. I’m not very knowledgeable about traveling, but because of this, I learned a couple tips and customs along the way that taught me how to carry myself and care for myself and my belongings.

In Paris, the designated fashion capital of the world, what kind of fashion you choose to wear matters. It was a surreal weekend spent in the sun-soaked city of bread (oh, tons of it) and it was beautifully warm outside. In the States, we wear whatever we please, and it’s not really frowned upon, especially in big cities where you’ll eventually seen all kinds of outfits. However, painfully, I learned why France was known for ‘people-watching.’ The culture of men, as soon as spring time weather hits, is surprisingly appalling. A close friend and I suffered a couple dozen glances, stares, gestures, and comments (I kid you not) as we wore a dress and romper for a day out — it was the romantic Paris after all, how could you not? In the end, I learned to dress a little safer, and ended up being more comfortable in jeans and sneakers anyway. This is not a message telling women to cover up, it’s to make you aware that in this society, although we’re learning to make a change, some countries and generations are not on the same wavelength.

In Paris and Copenhagen, there were different language scenarios happening. I took 5 years of French class while I was in school, so I could participate in basic conversations in Paris. On the other hand, it was surprisingly easy to speak English in Copenhagen. It’s very normal to know English as a second language in Denmark, I learned. Paris was very helpful even if you only knew English, but speaking French was much appreciated, I noticed. However, please make an effort to know basic words like thank you, or most importantly, sorry. Not only does it make you a more considerate individual, it is joyful to be able to connect with someone in a completely different language and country. While you’re having the time of your life, make it educational begin to learn a language too!

Previously in the semester, I stayed in my first hostel, and I stayed in another in Dublin. It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy one (light sleepers beware), but that doesn’t mean you can’t change your attitude if you’re not keen on them. Firstly, they’re cheaper and sometimes more centrally located than hotels. AirB’n’Bs are also a fun and safe option if you’re staying with a group of friends, in addition to being cheaper sometimes. Hostels commonly have locked cages or lockers for you and your bags, but make sure to bring your own locks. Whether you have a zippered case, bag, or luggage, bring one in case it does not fit in the locker of cage. My friend brought an extendable cable lock that locked our luggage together and to the shelving units in luggage storage rooms. If it is before your check-in time or after you checked-out, utilize the luggage storage room if you have a day ahead of you, because you don’t want to drag around your luggage to places that restrict large bags.

Speaking of bags: think of the bag you’re carrying on your shoulder or back: is it too heavy? Are you carrying too many ‘necessities’ out of precaution? Be mindful of what you bring with you. The heaviest thing in your bag should be your water bottle. It’s easy to walk miles in a single day, so make sure you’re frequently hydrated. I mistakenly threw out several plastic water bottles over the course of my traveling, so I would definitely invest in an average sized bottle.

While you’re taking care of the planet by decreasing your plastic waste, don’t forget to take care of yourself too. It’s easy to overlook how you’re feeling because you’re worn out after the day’s activities, and you want to push through and keep going. I journaled when I had the energy and found it enjoyable to journal on the plane. Utilize that airplane seat tray!

These are a few reminders, based on my travels, to make sure you are aware of your surroundings and being mindful of your naivety. At the same time, remember to have fun and open yourself up to a whole new culture!

Hi there, I'm studying Painting and Graphic Design at the University of Illinois! I'm also an alum of the University of Leeds study abroad program (spring 2019). I'm interested in making illustrations and social media content, reading for fun, and love bike riding. I'm staying a fifth year to complete both of my degrees. I also enjoy taking Advertising, Business, and History classes too.
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19