Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

Top 5 Celebrity Style Icons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Celebrities have consistently served as trendsetters, icons, and role models throughout their illustrious careers. They inspire us not only through their artistry, but also by captivating us with their personalities, legacies, and perhaps most notably, their distinctive sense of style. In the entertainment industry where image holds significant weight, fashion becomes a paramount element that shapes perceptions and leaves lasting impressions. We revel in everything our favorite artists wear as they grace the red carpets, their fashion choices often transcending mere clothing and becoming legendary style statements, that contribute to their enduring influence on the industry. However, only a select few have risen to prominence solely for their unique fashion sensibilities and their ability to carry themselves with grace.

Let’s delve into the top 5 celebrity style icons who have undeniably cemented their status as the kings and queens of the fashion world.

5. Timothée Chalamet

At number 5, we have Timothée Chalamet! The French man has made a mark, not only through his impressive acting career, but also through his bold fashion choices. With his striking facial structure and prominent eyes, Chalamet never fails to effortlessly pull off his fierce attires, having consistently pushed and redefined the boundaries of formal dressing in the modern age. 

For the 2018 Golden Globe Awards, the ‘Dune’ actor sported a floral suit designed by the one and only Alexander McQueen, styling it out with a pair of classic Chelsea Leather Boots. Later, at the 2019 Venice Film Festival, Timothée made a splash again with a custom-made Haider Ackermann silver satin suit, which he paired with black cowboy boots and a cinching waistband overtop, winning him the number-one spot on the Best Dressed Men of the Year chart in 2020!

Of course, it would be a miss not to mention perhaps his most iconic and striking look: a Fuchsia shaded three-piece by Stella McCartney in 2020. Accompanied with some silver jewelry and leather cowboy boots, despite its simplicity, Chalamet successfully made it look rich and fabulous on the red carpet!

4. Taylor Swift

At number 4, we have Taylor Swift! Singer, songwriter, actor, record producer, and 12-time Grammy winner, who, beyond her musical achievements, has managed to carve a niche for herself in the fashion world. 

In 2016, Swift attended the Vanity Fair Oscars After-Party in a sophisticated black Alexandre Vauthier gown, elegantly paired with a golden choker and her then-signature slick bob hairstyle. Continuing her streak of captivating red-carpet moments, Swift turned heads at the 2020 Golden Globe Awards in a beautifully understated green and yellow floral gown by Etro. The 63rd Grammy Awards in 2021 saw her don an Oscar de la Renta mini dress with matching pastel pink heels, showcasing her penchant for both style and versatility. More recently, Swift made a memorable appearance on the 2023 Grammy red carpet wearing a midnight blue creation by Roberto Cavalli, undoubtedly paying homage to her latest album, ‘Midnights.’

In addition to her stunning red-carpet choices, Swift’s iconic red lips and distinctive bangs contribute significantly to her enduring fashion legacy, emphasizing the power of simplicity in making a bold statement. 

3. Zendaya

At number 3, we have Zendaya! Renowned for her compelling roles as ‘MJ’ in ‘Spiderman’ and ‘Rue’ in ‘Euphoria,’ Zendaya possesses an unparalleled talent for harmonizing her outfits with movie themes during premieres. At the premiere of ‘Spiderman: No Way Home,’ she paid homage to the movie by donning an Alexander McQueen outfit adorned with spiderwebs, perfectly complemented by boots and some earrings from Jacob & Co.

In another stunning display of fashion prowess, Zendaya graced a red carpet in Paris in September 2021. Wearing an exquisite burgundy two-piece set from Alaïa, she flaunted a long-sleeved, backless cropped top paired with a feathered fishtail skirt. Accentuating the ensemble with large golden hoops and a matching necklace, she completed the look with a touch of 70’s-inspired hairstyle.

Notably, Zendaya’s iconic wet look at the Biennale Cinema Festival deserves an honourable mention. Wearing a custom-made leather Balmain dress, coupled with Christian Louboutin’s and an emerald Bulgari necklace, she once again showcased her ability to strike the perfect balance between style, elegance, and sensibility on the red carpet.

2. Lady Gaga

At number 2, we have Lady Gaga, the ‘mother monster’ herself! The iconic ‘Poker Face’ singer has redefined fashion with her bold, extensive, and frequently avant-garde choices, infusing elements of theatre into her attires and accessories.

Lady Gaga’s penchant for pushing boundaries was exemplified by one of her most talked-about and controversial outfits: the infamous “Meat Dress” worn at the 2010 VMAs, ostensibly crafted from raw beef. While it faced condemnation from animal rights groups, Time Magazine hailed it as a top fashion statement. Initially displayed with her other archived dresses at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011, the dress found a permanent home in 2019 at the Haus of Gaga Museum in Las Vegas inside the Park MGM Casino.

Elevating her ‘extravagant and bizarre’ fashion approach, Lady Gaga made a striking entrance at the 2011 Grammys inside an egg, playfully dubbed “The Egg” by her fans. Described by Gaga as more of a vessel designed by Hussain Chalayan, she considers it a unique ‘outfit.’ Accompanied by her crew adorned in swaths of tawny latex, this outfit marked the birth of her album, ‘Born This Way.’

Shifting gears from her over-the-top style statements, Lady Gaga showcased an elegant and glamorous side at the 2019 Oscars. Radiating on the red carpet in a stunning black gown by Alexander McQueen, perfectly complemented by platinum blonde hair, and a dazzling 128.54-carat diamond from Tiffany and Co. Lady Gaga clinched her first Oscar that memorable night for the song “Shallow” featuring Bradley Cooper in their film ‘A Star is Born.

1.Rihanna

Securing the top spot at number 1 is Rihanna, who catapulted to fame at the tender age of 16 and has been lauded for her ‘fearless’ approach to fashion ever since. Rihanna’s style not only meets expectations but continually raises the bar, setting new standards with every appearance. Whether it’s the Grammys, other award shows, luxury fashion events, launch parties, or just casually attending NBA matches, Rihanna effortlessly commands attention.

Recognizing her influence, the Council of Fashion Designers in America (CFDA) named Rihanna a “Fashion Icon” in 2014, a title she justified that same night with a jaw-dropping custom Adam Selman gown. Crafted from fishnet and adorned with approximately 230,000 Swarovski crystals, complemented by a matching head scarf, Rihanna boldly declared, “Even as a child, I remember thinking, she can beat me, but she cannot beat my outfit.”

Rihanna’s Met Gala appearances have been nothing short of spectacular too. Regarded as the pinnacle of fashion and glamour, she has earned the title of the undisputed Queen of the Met Gala. At the 2018 Met Gala themed “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” Rihanna made a striking entrance dressed as The Pope in a custom-made John Galliano ensemble, featuring a corseted mini dress, a papal robe, and a shimmering mitre hat. For the most recent Met Gala in 2023, celebrating the legacy of Karl Lagerfeld, the ‘Umbrella’ singer graced the event in a cocoon-like Valentino attire adorned with big white roses, paired with cat-eyed sunglasses—a heartfelt tribute to Lagerfeld’s bridal-inspired collections, particularly at Chanel.

Now a mother of two, Rihanna has continued to set trends even during her pregnancy. In a groundbreaking pregnancy announcement, she flaunted her baby bump in a hot pink Chanel puffer coat, floor-grazing jeans, and shiny multi-coloured golden chains. This look underscored Rihanna’s unwavering status as a STYLE ICON, reaffirming that her influence transcends conventional boundaries, pregnant or not!

Edited by: Millie Nutburn

Hello! I am Adrita Barua. I am 22 years old and I am currently pursuing my Post Graduation Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds. Writing has been a part of me since I was 14. I have always enjoyed the art of writing stories, poems, and even songs at times. I started journaling at an early age to record my daily activities and soon enough, I started doing the same to express my innermost feelings and to preserve my secrets. I have been a fan of reading as well, especially crime novels and hence, Agatha Christie and Sidney Sheldon will always be on the top of my list! I started working as a Writer and at times, as an Editor, during my Undergraduate years and soon realized my passion for them. I am extremely happy to join Her Campus Leeds and I am hoping to create some of my best work here!