Style

Style Experimentation with a White Top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

From my seat on the 8 bus, I have the best spot for people-watching every morning and every afternoon. What I’ve observed so far is the Mean Girls lunchroom scene may be an accurate depiction of student style variety. Campus is a jungle, a biodiverse rainforest.

As a girl from a small town in the United States, I can say that fashion was an afterthought to practicality. The rural to urban fashion comparison involves two opposite ends of the self-expression scale, low and high. The question is, why can the same white top be worn by two different people and end up having a totally different feel? The difference is a few small tweaks in personal styling. Fashion sends a message about a person. To showcase how styling can change the vibe of an outfit, here are the results of my study of the three most common student aesthetics here at the University of Leeds.

Firstly, I’d like to address the easiest aesthetic to recreate, feminine minimalism. It has been growing in correlation to wealthy influencer popularity, for example, Matilda Djerf and Sophia Richie who post content that displays their luxury wardrobes and lifestyles. The clothing they wear has been termed “quiet luxury” because they indulge less in the flashy logomania that ruled in the late 2010s. The “old money” aesthetic has taken its place. To embody feminine minimalism expressed on campus, start with a white, boatneck, long sleeve top. Then, pair it with medium-wash straight leg jeans and white leather trainers or black platform loafers. For chillier weather, wear it with an ankle-length wool or trench coat and a brushed scarf. To complete the look, accessorize with layered chain jewellery and a leather tote bag. I recommend trying this aesthetic out for yourself if you want to be able to mix and match your wardrobe flawlessly due to the neutrality of the individual pieces.

Subsequently, in my opinion, the alternative aesthetic has been the most connected to runway fashion, channelling it in everyday looks. Some of the iconic inspiration for this aesthetic comes from musical artists like Madonna, characters like Effy Stonem from Skins, and actresses like Jenna Ortega for example. The students who identify with this aesthetic may have also been affected by mid 2010s Tumblr media. To recreate an everyday alternative look begins with an untucked white button up. Next, put on a black skirt of your choice and add a fur or leather bomber jacket. As for accessories, add a pair of moto boots or Mary Jane shoes, printed tights, a lot of rings, and a shoulder purse with buckle details. I recommend testing alternative styling out if you are comfortable with being edgy.

Last, but not least, the most common aesthetic on campus seems to be streetwear. With the trend cycle currently being focused on 1990s and Y2K fashion, the streetwear pieces of those eras have remerged. The origins of this aesthetic come from hip hop and R&B artists including Aaliyah and Missy Elliot. To achieve a legit streetwear look, start with a white graphic tee and pair it with baggy low-rise jeans or cargo trousers and chunky “dad” trainers. To keep warm, layer with a utility jacket, cropped puffer, or an oversized hoodie. If you feel extra, add a baseball cap and canvas graphic tote bag to pull the look together. Streetwear is the aesthetic I would recommend to someone who likes to feel cosy but cool at the same time.

All in all, the purpose of this article is to not divide fashion into strict groups. Fashion rules are a myth. Rather, it should encourage you to use pieces you already have and experiment to find your own personal style. It may be a hybrid of all or none of these. What expresses you is what is truly fashionable.

Edited by Yuna Kato

I am an international student from Virginia, USA studying sustainability and environmental management. My core interests are vintage fashion, art/photography, romance books, and cooking.