Life > Experiences

Seoul Shenanigans: My experience as an exchange student in Seoul and some advice on taking a year abroad. 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Had I been told 3 years ago that I would be spending a year in Seoul, South Korea I would have reacted in disbelief. When I visited the University open days , the opportunity of being able to take a year abroad amidst my degree was salient. Having received my grades post my first year at university, I was sceptical about whether I would get onto any exchanges as I only just the achieved the academic requirement. I applied to 5 different places with Seoul being my last option; all I can say is what a blessing in disguise that I got into Korea University, Seoul. I knew I wanted to live somewhere culturally different, but, my knowledge of South Korea was very limited and this was daunting; however, if anything, this added to my whirlwind experience which has been phenomenal.

Adjusting to a new normal was so refreshing and exciting, everyday “mundane” activities have been embellished with a new charm. Walking to the closest Nora Bang (karaoke room) , concealed in every nook and cranny of Seoul, to access the 500 Won coin dispenser to operate the washing machine in my goshiwon (dorm). Eating hot stone bibimbap (Korean rice dish) from the restaurant tucked around the corner from my accommodation, cooked by a lovely halmeoni (grandma), replacing my staple vegetable stir-fry on the weekday. Visiting the flea market to find gems whilst rummaging through piles of clothes on the floor instead of the racks of clothes in the charity shops on my high street.

The differences in culture to the UK have been eye-opening, there are so many. The most striking being the style of communication which is very polite and reserved due to the country’s Confucianist roots; bowing when saying thank you is now the norm for me. 

OF COURSE, some cultural differences have taken adjusting to, I have occasionally been screamed at by a passenger for laughing with friends when I wasn’t obeying the unspoken rule of staying quiet on transport. However, this has all just been an opportunity to see a completely different way of life and allowed me to reflect on mine.

Seoul is a city with limitless activities, I have experienced so much in the past 7 months from indulging in it’s history by visiting beautiful palaces or singing my heart out in a karaoke room, drunk with friends. The city itself is beautiful, surrounded by nature and a picturesque mountain range, making it a great spot for hiking. It is bustling with hip areas you can visit, where you will see queues going on for days for the latest trendy café, restaurant or pop-up shop. I have never in my life seen so many aesthetically pleasing cafes, it is insane. Although I have achieved so much since arriving , there is still is a lot more I want to see and do before I return to the UK.

Whilst lots of Seoul is highly developed due to the rapid urbanisation in the 50’s the disparity between neighbouring areas which are so developed and then areas that aren’t is crazy and it’s even crazier to revisit areas and see new cafes and vintage stores opening in such areas in matters of weeks. 

Another fantastic aspect of South Korea is that food is the essence of everything. It has been a delight trying out such a different delicious cuisine, I now expect every future meal to arrive with an unlimited free supply of banchan (side dishes), Kimchi being my favourite. 

Seoul has great nightlife with multiple areas differentiating in music scenes. Soju (the national alcoholic clear beverage) is nearly the same price as water, which explains why South Korea is so popular for exchange students and why the nation are the biggest drinkers in Asia!

Something I am going to miss greatly is the safety; I am more than happy to walk alone at night and I often go on runs in the evening which is something I would never dare to do at home. However, It is crucial to recognise that as a white female I experience a privilege that may not be extended to everyone. 

As someone who loves dance, I have enjoyed exploring the incredible scene here; no matter which studio I go to in the city it is filled with amazing talent. Every class I have attended is a spectacle, teachers and students are filmed professionally with multiple dramatic mood lights which are then uploaded onto the large YouTube channels. This has allowed me to acknowledge the vast extent to which social media is valued here.

Whilst the cost of living in South Korea is significantly cheaper than in Leeds, realistically, for a well-rounded experience you will spend more on tourist activities and therefore the cost builds, totalling, on average to equal or more than Leeds daily living expenses. Unfortunately, due to immigration regulations it is not possible to work in the first semester which I know is limiting to many; however, Turing schemes are accessible to cover costs of travel for those applicable which can contribute largely to expenses in addition to other scholarships, therefore I would urge anyone interested to research more into these.

Being on a year abroad study exchange at the University of Leeds provides one with the flexibility to fully immerse oneself in the country as the pressure of academic achievement is alleviated. The grade I achieve at the end of this year abroad does not contribute to my overall grade, I only have to pass the year. Some may consider, what is the point of a year out, especially if it doesn’t count towards my degree, I could just visit the country without this extra demand of attending uni ?

1) I honestly believe I have learnt as much living in another country for a year as in my whole degree.

2) Being a student in another country provides you with more structure than if you were to just move to a different country independently.

3) It’s not every day you get the opportunity to live somewhere different, as you get older your responsibilities only increase.

4) Being able to live abroad somewhere different allows you to wholeheartedly explore the country and indulge in its culture

5) Above all, being a student abroad is a lot of fun.

I’m aware that just like a university experience in the UK, the luck of who you meet, where you live and your choice of university will greatly impact on your experience. I have been incredibly lucky with the friends I have met out here; nevertheless, I can almost assure you that wherever you go there will be plenty of other exchange students who equally desire to explore and form friendships. Of course, like normal life, I have had my ups and downs nonetheless it has been a truly unbelievable experience so far and living somewhere so far from home for a year has pushed me to grow as a person exponentially.

Written by: Emily Cohen

Edited by: Joanne Spence-Thomas

Hi I’m a third year student at Uni of Leeds, studying BSc Psychology and am currently on a year abroad in Seoul at Korea University !