Review of LUU Musical Theatre Society’s Performance of ‘Bonnie & Clyde’.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

As a secret theatre enthusiast, watching the performance of ‘Bonnie & Clyde’ by the LUU Musical Theatre Society was a very joyous experience for me. I jumped at the opportunity to write my first review article about a Musical Theatre Society performance, and I’m so glad I did.  I believe that anyone, irrespective of how much interest they have in theatre or musicals, could watch this performance, and be left speechless by the amount of talent visible throughout. I went to watch this show with minimal prior knowledge of the plot or the songs involved, which I certainly feel was the best way to be, for such an anticipation-filled story. Based on a true story, ‘Bonnie & Clyde’ follows the infamous American couple who undertook robberies and other crimes amid the 1930s Great Depression. Ambitious Bonnie Parker is intrigued by Clyde Barrow’s similar dreams of breaking out of the restraints of life in an economic depression. The couple commit daring crimes together, and their undying loyalty and love for one another only add more volume to their relationship. Alongside them, the story also follows Clyde’s brother Buck and his wife Blanche whose lives end up intertwined in the story’s climactic events, despite Blanche’s best efforts to avoid them. 

Opening the performance, Ava King and Evie Grattan, playing young Bonnie and Clyde, gripped the audience’s attention with their energetic performance of the show’s opening number: ‘Picture Show’. Emma Mitchell and Toby Bowen, who played grown Bonnie and Clyde for the rest of the show, continued to sustain the high standard that they had set in the very opening of the show. Honourable mentions must be given to Mitchell’s angelic voice in songs such as ‘How ‘bout a Dance’ and Bowen’s moving performance of ‘Raise a Little Hell’. Their performances together, playing the daring and deeply in love duo were compelling. Honestly, all vocal performances throughout the show were stunning and so admirable. There is, of course, much-needed praise to be given to the fellow performances throughout the show. First, Cameron Griffiths’ incredible performance as the town’s preacher was uplifting, with the interluding ensemble performance of ‘Gods Arms are Always Open’. By far the most heartbreaking moment was Anna Duffell’s extremely moving portrayal of Blanche’s grief as she mourned her late husband, Buck, played by Zac Lovat. Moreover, Matteo Ferrari’s performance of ‘You Can Do Better Than Him’ was captivating. This perfectly sets the sorrowful tone for the show’s ultimate, breathtaking end.  What stunned me overall was the perfection of all performers’ Southern USA accents, which never missed a beat and convincingly placed me in the setting of North Dallas, Texas. 

The set design for the show was perfectly simple and effective. We saw a 1930s-esque car placed in the corner in which, in a cyclical style, we saw Bonnie and Clyde dead and holding onto each other at the start of the show – an excellent cause for intrigue in finding out what caused this conclusion. Moreover, the draped bunting consisting of letters and old vinyl singles nicely reflected parts of the show’s plot. I must say that the use of lighting was also very effective, especially when creating the shadow of a prison cell window after Clyde’s arrest. Music is one of the most important contributors towards a musical. Being in a smaller theatre made the music experience of the show even more immersive and the band were truly incredible. The show is full of upbeat tracks such as ‘When I Drive’ (this is now my favourite song from the show), as well as beautiful slower songs such as ‘You Love Who You Love’ or ‘You Can Do Better Than Him’, and it is without a doubt that the band had every style of song perfected. 

In retrospect, this performance of ‘Bonnie & Clyde’ was wonderful. I’m not sure how many more synonyms for ‘amazing’ I can come up with for this review, but I hope I’ve conveyed my delight for this performance well. Not knowing a musical and falling in love with it after seeing it, with the soundtrack on repeat, is a great feeling which I fully recommend and this would not have been possible without the amazing cast and crew involved. I look forward to seeing many more performances by the Musical Theatre Society. 

Edited by Adrita Barua

I am a first year English Literature student at the University of Leeds. As well as loving to read, I'm interested in music, movies and theatre :)