The Quick Guide to Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

We’ve had Halloween. We’ve had Bonfire Night. Now we look forward to Christmas! Unless you’re American that is…

Thanksgiving is a holiday that we Brits don’t celebrate or fully understand. It seems to us to be an excuse for residents across the pond to take an extra day off work and have an early Christmas dinner. But in the spirit of Her Campus’ American heritage I think it’s time for us to embrace Thanksgiving. Let’s start with a quick history lesson (without the boring bits). 

FACT 1: Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday in November (or second Monday of October if you’re in Canada). So this year it’s on the 24th of November.

FACT 2: There is speculation about when and where the first Thanksgiving took place, but the widely accepted belief is that it started in 1619 in Virginia when the pilgrims and Native Americans feasted together to give thanks to God for safely leading them to the ‘New World’. The first celebration of Thanksgiving in its modern day form was held in Massachusetts in 1921 to celebrate a particularly good harvest season.

FACT 3: Thanksgiving is celebrated earlier in Canada because winter descends earlier in the North, causing the harvest season to end earlier.

FACT 4: Thanksgiving is also celebrated in Liberia, The Netherlands and Norfolk Island.

So, now we know how Thanksgiving came about, but what does it mean today? The whole day, similar to Christmas, centres around the traditional dinner. The whole family sit down to eat and, traditionally, the head of the table says ‘grace’, giving thanks to God, before everybody tucks in. As well as the HUGE roast turkey, Thanksgiving dinner usually comprises of stuffing, mashed potatoes (instead of roasties – crazy, I know!), sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet corn and pumpkin pie.

In addition to indulging in a meal which requires an elasticated waistband, Thanksgiving Day can involve all kinds of fun activities.

Parades: The biggest Thanksgiving Day parade in the USA is Macy’s Parade, which is held in Manhattan outside (you guessed it…) Macy’s department store. Of course, you have to remember that American’s don’t do anything half-heartedly so you can imagine how big this parade is! Most major cities also have their own parade but if you’re agoraphobic, have no fear – the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is broadcast on NBC, America’s answer to the BBC.

Football:Of the American variety, of course. High school and college teams usually have football games on the weekend of Thanksgiving whereas the NFL has always hosted a game on Thanksgiving Day. Families and friends who have gathered for dinner usually play a friendly (or highly competitive) game in the back garden, or ‘yard’.

TV: Here in the UK, we all know that Christmas is here when Home Alone appears on our screens. For Americans, Thanksgiving marks the countdown to Christmas so, as well as every TV show having a Thanksgiving ‘special’, you’d be welcomed by a TV guide packed with classic Christmas movies.

If, like me, you’re a wannabe American, how, I hear you ask, can you celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK? We don’t have any fancy parades or not so fancy football games. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be well on your way to giving thanks just like the Yankees do:

Step 1: Join an American society such as Cheerleading or American Football. No self-respecting fake American society would let Thanksgiving go by without having a social!

Step 2: Eat a lot. It doesn’t have to be turkey because, let’s face it, turkey really isn’t that great. Once a year is often enough.

Step 3: Drink a lot. If you want to be really American, drink some egg nog (or the Starbucks Christmas Latte variety).

Step 4: Watch some football. Not soccer. American Football. You may need to wait until some ungodly hour to see it, but step 3 should help you to stay awake. Alternatively, just watch a DVD which has football in it. Suggestions: The Blind Side, Friday Night Lights, Any Given Sunday, The Longest Yard.

Step 5: Wish everyone a ‘Happy Thanksgiving!’ or ‘Happy Holidays!’. It wouldn’t hurt to change your Facebook status/Tweet something along the same lines.

And there you have it. You’re American.

Happy Holidays from Her Campus Leeds!

For more information visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving and http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/590003/Thanksgiving-Day

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.