Style > Beauty

Mikayla Nogueira: Simple Mistake or Marketing Mastermind?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Mikayla Nogueira is a TikTok beauty influencer who recently posted a ‘Before and After’ review of L’Oréal’s new Telescopic Lift Mascara. This review led to a crazy influx of sales, and the product is flying off the shelves. But was this just a simple mistake from Nogueira, or extremely clever marketing?

Nogueira’s review caused quite a stir in the beauty industry, and the influencer was accused of using false lashes to amplify the volume of the mascara look. Even Jeffree Star came out of his two-month break as he had to uncover the truth behind these mascara reviews. He said Nogueira’s look is ‘peculiar’ and ‘looks bizarre’, referring to her potential addition of a false lash, as if they couldn’t possibly be her real lashes. Despite all the drama, the creator has yet to respond to the backlash, and many of us were left wondering if the mascara is truly worth the hype. Following her viral TikTok, people have been racing to try it out for themselves.

Well, what sets this mascara apart from all the others out there? The influencer shows us that it requires a two-step application process. The first coat is to be applied with the curved side of the brush, and for the second coat, you turn it to the side and use the ‘hook-comb’ in order to separate your lashes. This enhances the volume, boldness and intensity. She even stated, ‘this looks like false lashes.’

The influencer showed us her long lashes from each angle, ending the clip by saying ‘I’m not sure anyone’s ever gonna ever be able to compete with this mascara.’ This left so many of us desperate to get our hands on it to try it out. But was TikTok’s most followed beauty influencer wearing a false lash? Did she do it to cause a stir and create a brilliant marketing tactic for the company? 

I guess the only way to know is to try it for yourself! I know I’m going to.

Written by: Evie Woodings

Edited by: Uta Tsukada Bright

A second year business management a marketing student at the university of leeds