Lianne La Havas: Is your love big enough?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Is this beautiful, doe-eyed lady the new face of Britain’s unique music scene? I’d like to think so. La Havas; fashionista, instrumentalist and lyricist, is the one to watch this year. There is no denying that she is multi-talented: she is currently nominated for BBC’s Sound of 2012, she supported Bon Iver on their tour across North America (whowouldn’t be jealous), and she enchanted the audience of BBC Two’s ‘Later… with Jools Holland’ with her song ‘Age’. Her performance on the Jools Holland show was the catalyst which kick-started her solo music career.      

La Havas is not lying when she sings “I found myself in a second hand guitar”. This songstress is no one-trick pony: not only has she been song writing since the early age of eleven, but she is fast becoming an accomplished guitarist. It is this raw talent which emanates from her debut album, ‘Is Your Love Big Enough?’; an album elegantly constructed with technical maturity and depth. Having said that, we didn’t expect anything less. After signing with Warner Bros. Records in 2010, Lianne has spent the last two years lying low, perfecting her song writing skills and instrumental technique. I cannot help thinking that they were two years well spent!

The album, ‘Is Your Love Big Enough?’, starts with the dreamy sound of ‘Don’t wake me up’, a delicately layered vocal track. The lacing of electro voices in the opening of the song eludes to Imogen Heap’s track ‘Hide and Seek’. The song eventually dissolves into a more conventional sound, but maintains its soulful harmonies and haunting air. Adopting an upbeat, melodic style follows the song, ‘Is Your Love Big Enough?’, with its simplistic lyrics and infectious melody.

A song that seems particularly striking is ‘No Room for Doubt’, featuring Willy Mason. The combination of Lianne’s silky voice and Willy Mason’s gruff, earthy tones makes for a beautiful rendition. Their whispering voices are echoed by a delicate guitar, creating a chilling but genuine connection between the voices and instruments. Testing Lianne’s vocal strength and versatility are the songs ‘Everything Everything’, and ‘Gone’, which is my personal favourite. Both songs are aching with memories of heartache and personal loss, sung powerfully, elegantly with meaning placed on every word. The versatility of Lianne’s vocal ability is striking, her tones can be hard and yet she can tame them to a whisper, and her pitch glides flawlessly throughout her songs. Personally, I feel the songs on the album do not justify the strength of her voice, but are teasing and flirtatious. I find, however, that her live versions are a true representation of her incredible vocal talent. The Live in LA EP, particularly the song ‘Gone’, is an overwhelming example of how talented this young lady is. Stripped back to simplicity, La Havas is accompanied by a subtle tinkling of piano, making her powerful voice even more apparent. I mime along with the vivacious high notes, wishing that I had talent equally as unique. A woman can only dream, right?

In a hybrid style, blending the tones of Corinne Bailey Rae and Nina Simone with elements of folk like those of Bon Iver, Lianne La Havas’ album oozes timelessness and sheer precision, each song seamlessly welcoming the next. Although many of her dates for her recent tour have been cancelled due to serious illness, she is a must see! I cannot wait for her to grace the Leeds University Union stage in March; I will be there to experience the beautiful lady in all her dazzling glory! 

Image 1: Andy Hall, The Guardian

Image 2:  http://www.londonundercover.co.uk/blog/?page_id=1800

Image 3: http://www.prefixmag.com/media/lianne-la-havas/forget-shlohmo-remix/60434/