Leeds: Why I Love My Second Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The Easter break sneaked up on us as stealthily as the Easter bunny herself. The last couple of weeks of term flew by like a whirlwind, when deadlines dominated my life and I became nocturnal like a hamster. Arguably, less fortunate, averaging on four hours of sleep and having four-dimensional bags under my eyes as a result. I was guilty of driving myself to an early grave; in short, I couldn’t wait to go home. I looked forward to enjoying serenity and home luxuries.

London, my own city

Last term I mourned downgrading my Andrex quilted toilet paper to co-operative loo paper. A trip to Yosushi! in mid-February equally proved to be my last. I demolished so many bowls it looked like a daylight robbery had taken place on the conveyor belt. Sadly, my bank balance became the victim. On my first night back home I went for a romantic meal with my boyfriend.  I felt as minted as a Kardashian when I ordered three lavish courses, all accompanied by delectable cocktails. The gourmet living had begun; I felt rejuvenated. I was equally aware that after a week this blissful bubble would burst; I would have to acknowledge that be it in London or Leeds, I was still a poor student.    

The leaning tower of plates

Whilst that novelty may wear off, there was still the one of seeing my friend’s familiar faces again; one which I could never tire of. Alongside with seeing family, the restoration of a normal sleeping pattern and the privilege of getting a little spoilt, being home for a month is a dream. However, by the end of that month, whilst it will be emotional bidding a farewell to all these domestic delights, I knew I would also be highly anticipating the remaining weeks of the semester. Sure, there are more deadlines and exams but before, in-between and afterwards, there are so many things to look forward to.   

“And I said “tap water?! Ha, I’ll take Mount Fuji water please”

Last term I was introduced to several new gems in Leeds which I’m already craving to revisit. I came out of my fresher’s shell and became a savvier student. A whole new sphere of entertainment was opened up to me thanks to LS6, Mook and the Hyde Park Picture House. Firstly, if there is one place you have to visit for brunch (or perhaps a dunch, as they serve till late); LS6 is your golden answer from heaven. Their eastern delight falafel sandwich is the best hang-over cure in the world and full of happiness hormones (so the last part has no scientific backing but ask anyone and they’ll swear by it.) Or if you want a reasonable full English without turning your own kitchen into a bombshell, once again, LS6 is your saviour. Located right in the hub of student central Hyde Park, its nice and small which means you tend to see familiar faces.LS6 reminds me of my local brunch cafe and brings that homely element to my second home.

Who said students didn’t have a taste for sophistication?

As for Mook, their happy hours live up to their name and they make an extensive list of scrumptious cocktails, all at student friendly prices. A happy hour in London is equally just as jolly; however, the pangs of the guilt the following morning are so much stronger; everything is at least double the price. On my last visit home I felt unworthy for walking the earth when I awoke to the sickening surprise of a £10 receipt for one mojito. I certainly shall miss Leeds student prices. This leads me neatly onto the Hyde Park Picture House. Their Orange Wednesdays allow you to see a current film for about £2.50. I got to see Shame and Martha Marcy May Marlene for the price of not even one showing back home. I was also astounded at visiting a cinema solely populated by students. Whilst it was strange not to see an older face amongst the crowd, there was a pleasant sense of a large student community which I look forward to rejoining when I return.   

We arrived just before it became a full house

I missed older haunts which have been my favourites since I first came to Leeds. Mint club is the one place which lures me there once or sometimes twice a week. It’s almost like there is a gravitational pull between Mint and myself. I love the underground music scene that Leeds offers, and Mint shows upcoming or current talent for a third of the price that a London club would ask you to pay to see similar headliners. It’s easy to get to and easy to stumble back to. Well, on some nights crawling is the only option; thank goodness for cheap cabs. As I live in Greater London, getting home from central means a succession of buses, usually amounting to two hours, consisting of inevitably passing out on one of them, waking up completely baffled and adding an extra hour onto your journey. Leeds has made me lazy for its easiness as it provides the luxury of getting a £5 taxi home; if it’s a full cab that amounts to about a pound each. Sadly, in London for the same distance of a few twists and turns it amounts to double.

Bigger Than Barry @ Mint Club

I was equally sad to part with the great nights held at the union, such as the most recent Vagabondz and Sbtrkt playing alongside Disclosure. Living in Charles Morris Halls, the union could not be more convenient. When a big night is held there, everyone bails in for drinks before and staggers out when it’s time to go. The beauty of the situation is that it seems too good to be true but is, in fact, true. I will also miss the lovely ten minute saunter into town and strolling down the high street. In London I feel a helmet is mandatory to protect yourself from savage shoppers in Oxford Street. Even Brick Lane is so much busier than it used to be and I’ll yearn for the peaceful experience of vintage shopping in Leeds.  

Before hitting Westfield, raise your shields

So whilst I was delighted to be back home and enjoyed every minute of it, I have genuinely missed my second home and my second family. Already a little bit of me is excited about getting even more acquainted with Leeds over the next month or so, so that by the end of three years I will feel more like a local. 

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.