Join the Race for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

One in three people will be affected by cancer at some stage in their life.
Every two minutes someone in the UK is told they have cancer.
These are tragic, but unfortunately true statistics.

Cancer is a devastating disease and it may be you who has it, a family member, or a loved friend, but whichever way you are affected, it can more often than not leave you feeling helpless with nothing you can do about it. But, that is exactly why you should join up for this year’s Race for Life.

I’m sure by now most people must know what Race for Life is (if not, you haven’t been having enough revision breaks in front of the TV – it’s advertised practically every ad break!) Just in case you haven’t yet quite grasped what exactly it is, here’s some background info to fill you in:

• Race for Life began in 1994, in Battersea Park, with 680 people taking part. Now, there are hundreds of Race for Life events each year, happening all over the country, throughout the whole of summer.
  • Hundreds of women turn up to each event and either walk, jog or run a 5k or 10k route (it’s really not that far – honest!).
  • Since this great race began, there has been an incredible overall drop of around 16% in the death rate from all cancers.

I’m about to take part in my fifth Race for Life run (well, jog if I’m honest) and I can’t stress enough about what an incredible experience it is. It may sound clichéd, but the feeling you get when you’re stood waiting at the starting line amongst hundreds of other women, strangers all coming together for one great cause, is just amazing.

If all this still isn’t persuading you, here’s a few more reasons why we think you should sign up for this year’s Race for Life today!

Get doing your bit

This is your chance to volunteer to help raise money for a excellent cause, which feels great to be a part of. Since Race for Life began, an incredible £457 million has been raised. That money is essential for Cancer Research to be able to continue its life changing work.

Get inspired

Now, I’m not a psychologist, and I’m definitely not going to attempt to tell anyone how they should be feeling when dealing with cancer, but I know for me and for many others, the feeling of being useless can really get to you. Race for Life helps take away that feeling, giving you the chance to contribute in some way. Another incredible moment of Race for Life is being able to read the comments and kind words that people have written on their backs, which share their own personal experiences with cancer, it’s completely inspirational.

Get fit

Sometimes it’s hard enough to drag yourself away from the TV and the comfort of the couch and out into the fresh air, but we’re finally starting to see a bit of summer now and you should make the most of it. However, I know that the thought of exercise doesn’t quite compare to the thought of lazing about sunbathing. But, having the goal of Race for Life in mind gives you something to aim for. It really doesn’t matter if you walk, jog or run the race, but having people sponsor you might give you that extra motivation to get practising once or twice a week.

Get together

Race for Life is the largest women-only fundraising event in the UK, although that doesn’t mean the men can’t do their part. Make sure to bring your dad, brother, boyfriend, whoever along on the day and get them supporting you. Knowing they’ll be there cheering you on at the finish line gives you even more motivation. You also don’t have to feel like you’re running the race alone; persuade your friends and family to join up with you! This year, Race for Life even has the new option of joining up as a group, making it easier than ever.

Finally, there are even a few Race for Life events right here in Leeds that are taking place before some of us leave for summer, and it’s still not too late to join! What better way to part with your flat and course mates for summer than doing something as amazing and memorable as this!

So, what are you waiting for? It costs just £14.99 to sign up, but that’s obviously all going to a good cause.

Joining is so easy and it only takes a few minutes, so sign up now!

Good luck from all of us at HC Leeds!