It’s All About Perfect Pancakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week brings two of my favourite days of the year – my birthday, and possibly more exciting – Pancake Day!  Oh boy, it’s gonna be a good week for food!

Now, we all know that making pancakes really puts our culinary skills to the test.  That is, if you’re not a cheater who buys the ready-made ones (tut-tut!).  If you do, you are definitely missing out on some scrumptious, pancakey goodness!  Why not challenge yourself this year, have a bit of fun and give the tossing game a go?  It’s a great way to spend precious time with your housemates and you’ll learn a new skill that will make your mother very proud!

To make things a little easier, you can follow this simple recipe I’ve put together below to make sure you serve up THE perfect pancake.  Yes, you will be the envy of all fellow Leeds-ettes.

Ingredients: (makes approx. 8 pancakes)

100g plain flour
300ml milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil and a little for frying
Pinch of salt

Equipment:

Mixing bowl
Measuring jug
Whisk
Frying pan
Ladle
Fish slice
Kitchen roll

Method:

1.      Put flour and salt into mixing bowl and make a well in the middle
2.      Crack eggs into well then add 50ml of milk and 1tbsp oil
3.      Whisk mixture to form a smooth, thick paste
4.      Continually add rest of milk whilst whisking mixture until the consistency resembles that of thick single cream.  Add more milk if too thick.
5.      Heat pan over a moderate heat and wipe with oiled kitchen roll
6.      Ladle some of mixture into pan and tilt it until mixture is evenly spread
7.      Leave to cook for 30 seconds until golden underneath
8.      Ease fish slice under pancake and flip, or toss it if you’re feeling daring!
9.      Leave to cook for another 30 seconds then serve.

Don’t worry if your first one goes a bit pear-shaped.  Even Delia gets it wrong!  Practice makes perfect, as they say, so just have confidence that the next one will be better than the last.

You should end up with a lovely stack of fine-looking pancakes.  After all your hard work slaving over the hot stove, it’s time to reap the rewards and tuck in.

Of course, this brings with it the dilemma of what to accompany your pancake with.  Traditionally, us Brits eat them with sweet toppings, but as our European counterparts have shown, savoury ones can be just as satisfying.  Have a look below for some ideas and take your pick.  Why not push the boat out and sample a few if you’re stuck for choice?!

Savoury

Spinach and goat’s cheese (v)
Classic vegetarian combination.  Spinach provides one of your five a day and vital iron too!

Bacon, cheese and mushroom
Another classic combo. Simply delicious.

Asparagus and ham
Take advantage of the offer on asparagus at Sainsbury’s this week and try something a little different.

Courgette, feta and red pepper (v)
Giving the humble pancake an exotic Mediterranean twist.  One word for this option: fit.

Sweet

Lemon and sugar
Simple, traditional, yet exquisite.

Jam
Another simple option, but nevertheless satisfying.

Nutella and banana
A personal fave.  Pure indulgence.

Fresh fruit
Perfect if you’re feeling a little full from dinner or are watching your waistline for summer.  I recommend banana, kiwi and raspberry as a perfect ensemble.

Bramley apple and ice cream
A favourite with the French; why not give it a go if you’re confident in the kitchen?  Soften apples in a pan with brown sugar until they form a compote consistency then serve with the warm pancake and a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.  Divine.

So there you have it…perfect pancakes!

Now all is left to do is pop down to Sainsbury’s or The Co-op to stock up on eggs, milk and flour.  Make sure you get down there pretty soon because I guarantee they’ll run out of supplies and that would make for a very, very sad pancake evening.

I can’t wait to be tucking into mine with a side serving of housemate love and fab Brits performances!

Enjoy!

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.