How to Have a Fun Summer AND Make Money!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

With a 3 or 4 month long summer it is often difficult to know how to make the most of your time, whilst earning enough money to eventually travel and, most importantly, cover the next years debts and pay back that overdraft. Whilst many struggle to balance having fun with a job which will set them in good stead for the future, it is something which isn’t as hard to achieve as many people fear. Although internships will always look amazing on your CV, alongside the relevant work experience and voluntary positions, you can equally boost your CV whilst having fun. The main thing employers look for is that you can demonstrate a hard working attitude, good communication skills, and that you are a team player. This is my five step guide to having fun whilst earning this summer, as well as boosting your employability.

The Olympics:

• The most obvious choice this year for any student using their initiative are the job opportunities made available in the UK as a result of the Olympics. Almost all UK cities, in particular; Newcastle, Manchester, Coventry, and London, require students to fill the high demand. One of which is Activas. Activas are the official box office providers for the Olympics this year. This job is a lucrative option for any student as it offers a wage of £8.50 per hour, £9 with bonuses. Whilst this is mainly based in London, and therefore requires you to have London based accommodation due to the shift nature of the job, it is flexible to some extent, and shifts range from early July to mid-September. There are no shortage of places, it is fairly easy to get involved with, you earn an amazing amount of money, and all whilst living in the capital of the UK giving you time to get involved with the buzz of the Olympics and explore London.  See the job description and email below to apply, or like activas.co.uk on Facebook. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=135cf02b05c9ae08&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Def29d13f61%26view%3Datt%26th%3D135cf02b05c9ae08%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbQp0j7TeJzXbDXqc9WyL7mkIW5ULg
  • Another Olympic based option is with Creative Events who are providing the catering for the Olympics. If you are looking for 3 months of full time work, and are experienced to some extent in a catering environment, whether it is; cooking, food preparation, or waitressing, and have access to London based accommodation for the full period of time, this is the one for you. http://www.creativevents.co.uk/?page_id=6
  • Finally, if you would prefer a job within the Olympics which is event orientated, whether it be a hotel or airport hostess or guide, look into applying with Iluka. http://www.iluka.co.uk/

Festivals:

• The UK is a hub of festivals during the summer months. There are so many opportunities to get paid employment doing something you are passionate about, plus there are no shortages of companies who you can apply through, or festivals you can attend. Gather all your friends from Uni, back home, or both, and have the most amazing time!

Roles vary from stewarding to traffic control, to backstage work and bar work. Roles can also be voluntary or paid, depending on the company and festival; however, almost all include a free festival ticket and a free meal whilst on your shift.  Although you are often expected to pay a deposit to ensure you complete your shifts (lengths and number of which vary with the client), get your friends to apply through the same company for the same roles, and you should be able to organise the same shifts to ensure maximum fun! Some good sites to look at are:

Register your interest soon as applications for some events have already begun. The main wave of applications starts at the end of March progressing into the beginning of April.

Event Catering:

• Finally, for those just looking for casual work, waitressing and events agencies are excellent ways of boosting your employability. They require you to be pro-active, work well under pressure both as part of a team, and on an individual level. Whilst a good one in Leeds is EWF recruitment, see: www.ewf-recruiters.co.uk,there are numerous companies which offer the same services, large and small, who are always on the look-out for students over the summer months due to the high-season demand.

In a jobs market which has become even more high-pressured for graduates in recent years, be pro-active and gain experience which demonstrates your flexibility, team work and communication skills, and willingness to work by doing something fun this summer!

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.