Her Campus x LRFS: MEET: the designer

We caught up with Eden Keshia, one of this year's designers...

Hey Eden, thanks so much for chatting to us! Tell us a bit about yourself?

I graduated in November 2017 from Leeds Arts University, where I studied fashion design. I’ve worked as a freelance artist & designer for my own label for over a year now, and I’ve been building that up for the past few months.

What sparked your interest in fashion?

I think my interest in other artistic disciplines led me into fashion. My parents encouraged me to draw, paint, etc. from an early age, and I believe that’s played a huge part in leading me into a career that’s art-related. I’ve always liked anything creative - especially painting - which now goes hand in hand with my work.

Photography: Harrison France

Photography: Michael Savage

How did you get involved with LRFS?

Jennifer Lea got in touch with me about the show. I thought it sounded really interesting! She told me about the theme, and which pieces she thought would work well. I just organised for all of my graduate collection to be available, and I’m so glad it was a part of the event this year!

Photography: Harrison France

Was this your first Fashion Show?

No, but it was certainly different from other shows I have attended. I think the different elements were really well thought out, and I loved the atmosphere - especially for the ‘revival’ series.

Photography: Edward Rivera

What did you think of this year’s show?

I loved it! The lighting, music, styling - it all worked really well, and the structure of the show along with the added dance elements made it really engaging. The models were amazing - I think you could tell they were enjoying themselves. It was a lot of fun!

Photography: Lucy R. Jones

How would you describe the clothes you design and their style?

I think extravagant would best describe my design aesthetic. I have a strong dance background, which has definitely influenced my work! I use a lot of metallic fabrics along with sequins, foils and beadwork. I am very keen on embellishment, embroidery and hand-painted designs - anything which creates texture and movement. The collection in the show was my graduate collection, which was inspired by a child’s perception of ‘art’. The fabrics and embellishment were all designed to reflect this, and the collection features a lot of child paintings in the form of prints and embroidery.

Photography: Michael Savage

Photography: Lucy R. Jones

Have you got any more exciting projects coming up soon?

I’m currently in the early design stage for a new collection, and expanding my brand into new avenues. The design stage is my favourite part of making a new collection, so that’s really fun. I’ve got a few collaborations lined up which I’m really excited about, so I can’t wait to get started with those! This year should be a very exciting year for me.

Check out Eden's instagram for more! @eden_keshia