Her Campus Review: ROAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Photo: Adam Robinson

When researching the original play to see what it was about, I hadn’t anticipated how current it could be 30 years on. ROAD, written by Jim Cartwright, was his first play and opened at the Royal Court in 1986, going on to win the Samuel Beckett Award, Drama Magazine’s Best New Play Award. ROAD is now considered a modern classic and as I watched, I found I could empathise with  just how tough it was for the normal, working class person in the time of Margaret Thatcher.

The synopsis in the programme gave a much-needed background to the play, which was helpful for me as someone who does not go to see many plays and small-scale productions that aren’t in the cinema. From watching this show, I have a new found interest in the Leeds University Union Theatre Group and the plays they hold throughout the year. I would definitely recommend the experience to anyone before they leave university – it is well worth a visit to watch some of the best acting and directing I have ever witnessed throughout my time at Leeds.

When entering the gates into the Holbeck Underground Ballroom, an area surrounded by gypsy caravans equipped with their own Shetland pony at the end of the street, I was anything but comfortable. This really helped set the scene for the production; it added such a cold, unnerving atmosphere, which was made even more apparent when watching the play itself. I was greeted by the cast members, all in character, hurling abuse at me as I walked up to the gates; one of the males who I now understand to be Sam Wilson said, “Walking alone….very brave aren’t you!” This comment, along with the setting, was interesting to say the least! But as the play began with Scullery (George Howard) lighting a match and intensely watching it burn half way before blowing out the flame, I couldn’t fault the entrance. Although before it started I was mildly worried for my safety, it all became clear as the play started and the characters were introduced just how central the scary welcoming of the cast members was.

The play was narrated by Scullery (George Howard) and he introduced us to the ROAD characters one by one. Each of them had their own monologues, talking about their innermost thoughts and feelings to the audience about how they have all been affected since Margaret Thatcher was put into power. Each and every one of the cast’s monologues was touching; it was so sad to hear many of their before and after stories and what they were all doing in the present. Each character clearly once had an enjoyable life and we saw how their lives had been eaten away due to a lack of money and a constant concern over where they were going to get their next drink. Two of the most touching monologues were from the characters Joey (Matt Conway) and Clare (Felicity Bartlett) in which Joey is on a hunger strike for a sign, a message, something that can tell him how to feel like he used to. Clare, his girlfriend, decides to join him on this “adventure…something [they were] doing in protest.” Clare did not seem to understand the complexity of why Joey was striking, yet, in her monologue, said the play’s most emotional line which continues to ring in my ears: “every day is like swimming in ache.” This line is absolutely symbolic of the play and one that sums up how each character was feeling, living their hollow lives in the shadow of their former selves.

Although this play was highly depressing and emotional, the cast were able to bring in some humour throughout, especially in the scene in which the soldier (Matt Conway) was blind drunk and his girlfriend was trying to get him into bed whilst he was passed out on an armchair. Another of the more humorous scenes was with the four teenagers that had come back to the house of some boys they had met at the pub. In this scene the two girls, Louise and Carol (Lois Brabin-Platt and Megan Stewart), were being very girly and naïve to the fact that the boys had brought them back in order to get with them. Every funny scene was met with an underlying want for change from each character; none of them were happy with their lives and wouldn’t be until Margaret Thatcher was gone from parliament.

The end of the play completed with the four teenagers playing a drinking game, which involved them all talking about their innermost thoughts to one another and the audience and ended in them all holding hands and screaming at the top of their lungs “SOMEHOW, SOMEHOW I MIGHT ESCAPE” which sums up the emotional state of each character perfectly. Throughout the play and especially when it ended, I was completely blown away by just how real each cast member was, how real this play was not just 30 years ago but how it also fits into modern day life and the feelings many in the UK have towards the current financial climate today.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was able to talk to the Director, Isla Jackson-Ritchie, who spoke about how much she enjoyed directing and how:

it has been an absolute privilege to bring this play to life. Road has always been extremely important to me and will continue to be, but it has to be said that without my fantastically dedicated cast…this show may not have kept the play so close to my heart”.

Overall, I was astounded by the acting ability of all the cast members and just how well put together the play was as a whole. I would give it a score of 4/5. I would definitely recommend seeing a play in the years to come from Leeds University Union’s Theatre Group as the acting capability and directing skills can only get better from here on!

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.