HC’s Guide to Shopping in Leeds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Leeds is the UK’s fourth largest city in the United Kingdom and is very quickly becoming known as the fashion capital of the northern region. Thursday 11th October marked the beginning of the opening of the brand new, one million square foot Trinity shopping Centre that is to be the retail beacon of Leeds City Centre. Set over three floors and across three of the busiest shopping streets- Briggate, Albion and Commercial Street, this new centre has further enhanced the Leeds shopping experience.

So where to start? Catering for a range of clientele including students, young professionals and families it would appear there is something for everyone. From quirky boutiques to designer couture there is a large variety. Where Leeds lacks indoor shelter – or used to before the Trinity Centre- it more than makes up for it with its beautiful architecture, diverse culture and variety of shops. As well as the majority of our high street favourites including Topshop, H&M, River Island, Next and many more, Leeds offers a choice of four large department stores including Marks and Spencer’s, Debenhams, House of Frasier and Harvey Nichols- the first of which to be opened outside of London. If this is not enough there is Leeds Kirkgate market, which has long been celebrated as the largest indoor market in Europe, the Emporium- a 1930’s building over four floors dedicated to art design and fashion and finally a number of one off vintage stores located near the quirky Call Lane.

With so much to offer this shopping guide will help to make sure your experience is a memorable one.

Firstly with such great transport Links around the West Yorkshire region, bus and train are certainly the wisest options when coming to shop in Leeds. Avoid the complexities of the one way system and expensive parking and take advantage of the fact that the train station is a stone throw away from the main shopping streets and has countless bus stops around its perimeter.

It is no coincidence that with four universities in Leeds, the months of September, January and April are some of the busiest for high street retailers. With student Loans burning holes in our pockets stores play an active role in encouraging our spending habits. Along Briggate, Commercial and Albion Street sit some of the most popular shops including Office, American Apparel, Aldo, Accessorise, Urban Outfitters and many more. These are all interlinked in a maze of streets – confusing? Yes, however for those first time shoppers there is a chronological order to it and you will find similar stores clustered together. In today’s climate where everyone is looking to penny pinch and save, it is key to look out for student promotions, discounts and Leeds favourite ‘Lock ins’. The lock in is a brilliant idea to avoid cues and crowds, save money, receive discounts and win prizes and goody bags. Most retailers advertise these via social media including Facebook and Twitter and around University Campus so look out for them and remember that your student card could be the most important plastic in your purse!

For those more affluent students out there and young professionals who crave a bit of lavishness, the Victoria Quarter offers every bit of luxury and affordability for the current market. Located in the centre of Briggate, next to one of the flagship Harvey Nichols stores, it is set in an elegant grade eleven listed building and it houses over sixty high end fashion and beauty brands. Similarly, the VQ offers exclusive shopping experiences, has hosted Vogue Fashion Night out and encourages a rapport between brand and customer. A unique feature of the VQ is its inclusion of affordable designer brands as well as high end couture. Shops include Kurt Geiger, Reiss, All Saints, Mulberry, Coast, Vivienne Westwood, Paul Smith and many more.

For all those bargain hunters out there looking for cheap and cheerful one off pieces Leeds has a vintage culture that aims to please. At the bottom end of Leeds near the Kirkgate market alongside the quirky bars of Call Lane you can find charming, one off stores with lots of hidden treasures. Blue rinse, Birds Yard, and All Vintage are some of the most popular stores to rummage through. Amongst the musty scent and jumble sale atmosphere are some real bargains at good prices.

If this doesn’t sound too appealing to you but your still after a one off bargain, the Emporium, also known as the Corn Exchange, has even more to offer. Specialising in art, design and fashion there are several quaint boutiques where you are bound to find a treasure or two. This 1930’s building is light and airy as a result of its beautiful dome roof, as well as boutiques there are a variety of cafes, and coffee shops to sit and enjoy the atmosphere.

Finally the most recent and upcoming addition to the Leeds shopping experience is the Trinity Centre. The grand opening of the three-storey Topshop/Topman got the ball rolling for the big opening in Spring 2013. The new development will offer an indoor haven of more of our favourite shops and enhance Leeds Leisure facilities with a rooftop D&D restaurant and the first Everyman Independent cinema outside of London. New shops will include Cult, Hollister, and Mango as well as a new three-storey Primark which will be music to many students’ ears! As well as more of an excuse to shop- not that we need one- the new centre will create many job opportunities and host a number of key events which are being advertised at the moment via Facebook and Twitter in preparation for the opening. Look out for the chance to be part of this exciting development.

With such a diverse community across the city of Leeds it is important to cater for a mass audience and that is exactly what the city centre does. There is something for everyone, both niche and mainstream. By hosting exciting events and creating hundreds of job opportunities we are able to be part of a retail community that is unique and special. With the brand new centre opening it will attract more people from the West Yorkshire region and create a weather proof shopping experience!