HC Leeds: Top tips for getting into the Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

When I wrote this it may have been a little too early to start celebrating Christmas; after all it was only November and it seemed like only yesterday every shop was flooded with Halloween costumes and pumpkins. However, as a lover of the holiday season I am urging you all to stop being ‘scrooges’ and fully embrace the festive mood. Why you might ask? Well for a start, it’s clear to see that Christmas can start being celebrated in November after the Coca Cola ‘Holidays are Coming’ advert arrived on TV only a week or so ago. To me, this is sort of a tradition I have to mark the start of the Christmas hype, and where it undoubtedly becomes acceptable to start wearing my favourite festive jumper and listen to cheesy Christmas jingles. If it wasn’t for Coca Cola I would have started way back in October, and despite myself, even I can agree that’s too soon. But it is not just Coke that has started off Christmas – the new John Lewis advert has ramped up the festivity feelings ten-fold, as well as making me and my flatmates  feel all emotional…well the ones who are girls that is. Somehow I doubt the boys will be shedding a tear over those adorable snowmen whilst screeching (not singing) along to ‘The Power of Love’ any time soon. However, if unlike me you’re not feeling the love for Santa and his Reindeer yet, here are some top tips for getting into the Christmas spirit.

1.      Buy a festive jumper:

Yes, I am serious. And not just any old plain festive one with a few simple patterns on it, go all out! Any sweaters or jumpers which scream tacky and hilarious are the way forward; I vote you go for the novelty kind that often have Santa or a Christmas pudding emblazed on the front. If you’re strapped for cash and don’t know where to get one, Primark sell them for only £12, or go to a vintage store; it is highly likely that they’ll be flogging big oversized Christmas knitwear at this time of year. The bigger the better, oversized jumpers are perfect for keeping warm outside, oh and of course, don’t be afraid to wear one in public. I wore one to my lecture the other day with pride.

2.      Decorate your house or flat:

Just because you’re at university doesn’t mean you have to miss out on a bit of Christmas decorating. So what if we all finish the semester in the first week in December? It could be that when you arrive back home, your parents and fellow siblings, if you have any, have already put up the tree and tinsel without you (this may have happened to me last year…I’m not bitter at all). Grab your flatmates and get yourselves down to Poundland where you can buy an artificial tree, 6ft of tinsel, lights and spray on snow for just a pound each! I can guarantee that for the remaining nights when you’re sat in your living room, you will feel that extra bit festive; especially when it gets dark and you can see the fairy lights glow.

3.      Watch a Christmas film:

For those cold, chilly nights when you’re hungover, lacking funds, or just bored why not stick a festive DVD on to cheer you up and make you get that warm fuzzy Christmas feeling inside? Recently in my flat we decided to watch a personal favourite of mine, Elf, whilst eating dinner and to no surprise it left us all feeling pumped for the holidays. This happened after two of the boys claimed it was too early for Christmas, despite one of them buying a box of mince pies to scoff. Personally I think they’re secretly just as excited as I am! Another Christmas classic has to be It’s A Wonderful Life which many may not know of, yet is still undoubtedly one of the greatest films ever made; an oldie but a goodie! If neither of them floats your boat, have a search online, there’s bound to be plenty.

4.     Cook a Christmas dinner with the flatmates:

My final tip comes in the form of something that everyone loves…food. Unless you’re one of those poor unfortunate souls that don’t enjoy a Christmas dinner then unfortunately this tip is not for you, however if you love a bit of turkey and maybe even the occasional brussel sprout, then I suggest you and your flatmates cook up a big festive dinner as a way to get you in the Christmas mood. Near the end of semester, it has become a tradition in our flat to go out for a meal together and almost every Sunday we have a big group dinner, so it may come as no surprise to hear that we’re planning on cooking a big Christmas feast on the last Sunday of term whilst handing out Secret Santa presents to each other.  

If after following my other top tips you still don’t want to embrace the holiday then surely cooking a big roast will, if not then I hate to say it but you have every right to be labelled a Grinch. If you’re keen for some food, get everyone to help out and then sit down, eat and pull some crackers while you’re at it. Oh and don’t forget those cheesy songs! Wham anyone? 

I'm not usually brilliant at writing biographies about myself so I apologize in advance. I'm a 19 year old girl from the North-East of England and a second year Broadcast Journalist at the University of Leeds. I enjoy music, reading and just life in general. I'm also a bit of a dork according to my flatmate, but hey ho, I'm embracing it!  Music: Drake, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Wu-Tang Clan, Jack Johnson, Frank Ocean, The Beatles. Books: To Kill A Mockingbird, 1984, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Odyssey. Films: Mean Girls, The Lord of the Rings, Drive, 300, Finding Nemo. TV: Jersey Shore, Game of Thrones, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air