Greg Sturge – Leeds University Union Sports Rep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

With Varsity just around the corner, HC Leeds caught up with the L.U.U. Sports Rep, Greg Sturge, for a chat about his thoughts on the biggest event in the University sporting calendar…

Varsity is a pretty big deal for both Leeds Uni and Leeds Met. What makes it exciting for you?

Varsity is the biggest event in both Universities sporting calendars by a long way. Whilst we continually face off throughout the year, this is the only day we get to exclusively play each other. The atmosphere during the day is electric, rising to the phenomenal finale at Headingley Stadium, and it provides the motivation for all the teams to be in top shape ready for the BUCS season which starts the following week.

What would you say are our chances of winning this year?

The gap between us and Met has been getting narrower every year, and I think we have a great chance to finally get our hands on the overall title. The re-inclusion of sports such as rowing, where we are traditionally the stronger university, can only help our cause!

How important do you think rugby union is to the university?

A tough question to answer! As Sports Rep, I value all of the Union sports teams and what they bring to their members and the university. Rugby Union is definitely one of the leading clubs though. They have a huge number of members, and with six teams entering the BUCS leagues this year, some weeks will see up to 130 players turning out to represent the club and the university both on and off the pitch, and the 1st XV has a great chance to make it to Twickenham at the end of the season. They also have a strong sponsorship set-up, and generate a huge amount of money through their participation in the Varsity finale which goes back into aiding all of the Union sports clubs.

Why should people get more involved with sport?

Rugby Union is a fantastic club with a strong team ethic – that is replicated throughout the Union’s sports teams. I strongly feel that there is no environment like that of a sports club, and all of my closest friends have come from that background – inevitably, given that you spend many hours a week training, playing and socialising with them. If you didn’t enjoy the traditional school sports of rugby, hockey, netball then why not try something new such as lacrosse, korfball, rowing? With nearly 40 different sports clubs, there really is something for everyone! It is a great way to make new friends, keep fit and active and get something on your CV to help you stand out to employers.

What are your best memories of Varsity?

For me as an individual, my very first match for Leeds was for the rugby union 3rd XV just a couple of weeks after starting university. We recorded a great win, and it was a superb introduction into the club. But I’m not sure anything can top the moment that the final whistle blew at the end of last year’s Headingley final to give Leeds the victory – the crowd went wild! But if we were to win the overall title this year, I think that would top the lot.

How did you become involved with Activities at the university and why?

In my first year I represented both the Rugby Union and Hockey clubs. After running for the rugby committee at the end of my first year, it was recommended by our club captain that I also put myself forward to be Sports Rep. I am now in my second and final year of holding the position and don’t regret a moment of it. Sport has always played a big part in my life, so to be able to liaise with and represent all of the sports teams is fantastic – it is a great feeling on Thursday morning to hear the successes of the week from the club captains, and I do all that I can to help our clubs continue to achieve on all levels.

Varsity will take place next Wednesday 3rd October, for more information visit www.leedsvarsity.com