Get Your Señorita On! Why You Should Love Spanish Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that the fashion in Spain was flamenco dresses and sombreros, trust me I secretly thought the same. When I first arrived in Spain I was confused why the majority of locals were walking round in 30º heat in coats and a lot of beige, while I was sporting shorts, t-shirts and anything that would stop me from melting in the sun. Talk about culture shock! However five months & a hell of a lot of shopping later, I have discovered the most amazing Spanish stores and fashion on the high street that the UK can only try to imitate.

As you probably already know, Zara and Mango are actually Spanish companies. I’ve always loved both of these stores for their timeless styles and twists on current fashion trends. Their products are always of the highest quality, and although they’re not as cheap as somewhere like H&M, you definitely get a better quality garment for your money. Both stores are currently stocking a variety of LBDs which, much like Spanish fashion itself, have subtle embellishments, styles or shapes, to make the outfit unique and stand out from others. This subtle style is often noticeable on many Spanish women; an almost plain yet elegant outfit made unique by added accessories, embellishments, unusual shape or fabric choice.

Spain is also the birthplace of so many more stores which the UK fashionistas should snap up quickly. Even though there are Pull & Bear and Bershka stores in the UK, neither of these Spanish brands is as popular as they should be. Each has great value for money and should be everyone’s go-to for an outfit. P&B’s typical fashion reflects the interior of their stores; dark and stylish, edgy and urban, yet with Spring/Summer lines making an appearance, there’s a heavy influence of pastel colours which are incorporated into the typical arty motifs and androgynous styles. A favourite of mine is the choice of shirts and jackets, which teamed with leggings or skinny jeans, would be the perfect finishing touch to an outfit.

The first round collar jacket has a pretty monochrome pattern and contains delicate beading on each shoulder- something which sets this jacket apart from many of the UK versions. The second can be worn all year round, with diagonal red and green trimming and studs which brightens the jacket up. The final pick from Pull & Bear is a dip dye denim shirt with jewels on the collar. The dip dye and jewels update this garment from being just another denim shirt – something UK stores are full of. Another recommendation is for the motif tees in Pull & Bear which can be dressed up or down. There really is something for everyone, which is why these stores are perfect examples of how Spanish fashion updates classic items to make them distinctive and chic.

Bershka is another Spanish store which we now have in the UK, but it is yet to be truly initiated as one of our favourite stores. Compared to P&B, the clothing in Bershka isn’t as ‘urban’, it has a laid back and girly feel with its pastel colours, logo tees and pretty accessories. Personally I love the leggings and choice of trousers in Bershka. They stock a variety of different cuts and prints, which are suitable for any occasion.

The first pair shown – the push up leggings – is quickly becoming popular and should be a staple garment in every woman’s wardrobe. The design of the leggings is to suck everything in and push up your behind, instantly giving you the Beyoncé derrière you’ve always dreamed of. My favourite are the zip detail trousers; they come in six colours and can be worn casually or, dressed with a blouse or peplum top, can effortlessly take you into the evening. The best thing about Bershka is the price. Everything is so cheap it would be a crime not to shop here!

Two stores I have found and love in Spain are Blanco and Stradivarius (don’t worry; I can’t pronounce the second one either). Unfortunately neither of these stores is in the UK and we are really missing out! Both are popular on the Spanish high street and their garments follow popular fashion trends, but again include a little Mediterranean twist to give them a bit more spice than any products we have in the UK (think how many times you see the same items throughout Primark, New Look and Topshop!). At the moment Stradivarius is stocking clothes and accessories with a hippy/ethnic vibe which I think is fab for festival season. They also have a great selection of jeans. Blanco has similar products, but maintains its usual stock of quite plain yet classically chic garments.

I really love the ethnic trend that is dominating the (Spanish) high street at the minute. Blanco’s fringed sweater is such a bargain and the design and fringing reinstates the Spanish take on fashion trends – adding the essential twist to give the garment a unique feel. I also love a good printed pattern, which can be seen on the Ethnic print t-shirt from Blanco and similarly on the Gauze print dress from Stradivarius. Blanco offers an updated alternative to the classic white shirt, as Stradivarius does with the jeans shown above, showing how these Spanish stores stock fabulous reincarnations of wardrobe staples. The side stripe and the faded colour effect on the second pair create a stunning, leg slimming effect which would look great over summer.

I love the fact that all of these stores offer great quality products at affordable prices. The main selling point for me is that I can find unique, distinctive and chic products on the high street which have a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ that UK products are lacking in at the moment. I love the alternative embellishments, styles and patterns to update quite basic garments. I’d definitely recommend all of these stores, whether you shop on the high street, online or stop by when you’re on holiday!

¡Viva España!

Image sources:

www.zara.com

http://shop.mango.com

www.pullandbear.com

www.bershka.com

www.blanco.com

www.stradivarius.com