This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Hey! So we hope you all had a good trick or treat for Halloween this year! We hope you had at least one night off through the week to celebrate the spooky night or the brilliant Bonfire night, don’t let yourself get too overwhelmed with all those mid-semester deadlines. As always, we are here to help with any of your love problems, so keep sending them in and we’ll carry on doing our best to answer as many emails as we can!

Last weekend my friend from home came to visit me at uni. We had a huge night out with my uni friends, our mutual friends and my brother. I went home early because I was tired and when I woke up the next morning my best friend hadn’t come back to my house. I then found out she’d stayed over at my brother’s but she reassured me nothing had happened; however, I then found out they had actually slept together! They’re not really  suited for each other and so I’m pretty sure it was just a one night stand but I’m still so angry that they lied to me and things feel awkward between us all now!

By the sounds of it, you’re not really bothered that they hooked up, and why should you be; after all they are both free people. So, if that’s not an issue you should make it clear to them both that it’s not the problem here. It sounds like the real issue is the fact that they lied to you. You have a right to be angry as they shouldn’t have lied. However, if you try to see it from their point of view you will realise they most likely only lied to you in order not to hurt you, which shows how much they both care about you. Try to explain to them how you feel and exactly what is was they did that hurt you and hopefully you can all move on from the situation.

I was on a night out recently with all my friends and one of my female friends in particular became very drunk! She is a lesbian and I am straight and she knows that, but this didn’t stop her from suddenly trying it on with me! She repeatedly tried to kiss me and even asked me to come back to hers. I’ve not spoken to her since as I’m so embarrassed, but I don’t want to lose a good friend because of this; what should I do?

First of all, you shouldn’t be the one feeling embarrassed, she should! Her behaviour was out of order and hopefully she recognises that now. However, if she is a good friend like you say, then you should be able to get passed this. Try not to over think what happened as you yourself said she was ‘very drunk’. We think the best approach will be to simply text her and perhaps even make a joke of it by asking her how hungover she felt the next day. Hopefully humour will get you through the embarrassment and as long as she doesn’t behave like that again you should be able to forgive her.

I’m in my first year of uni and I’m single and always have been. Since coming to uni, I have been getting quite a lot of unexpected attention and I’m just finding it so hard to tell when guys are genuinely interested in me or when they’re only after a quick one night stand. I just don’t want to get hurt, how do I tell?!

This is a problem we’re sure many other singletons have! Firstly, it’s important to remember that although it might be the boys giving the attention, it is still you in control, so try not to get too overwhelmed and enjoy it. If you are really interested in someone who gives you attention then show your interest back, but just make sure you take it slow. The easiest way to avoid a one night stand is simply not to put yourself in that position; so don’t ever sleep with someone you’ve just met. Swap numbers, arrange a date, if it goes well then arrange another date, then another, and another! If he’s genuinely interested you will be worth waiting for, don’t ever let him rush you.

… It’s better to be alone rather than being with someone who makes you feel like you’re alone…

Image Sources:

Image 1: wikimotive.com

Image 2:  own photo

By Francesca Foulkes and Chantelle Thompson