Eurovision 2023: The Scousers are bringing the party!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I know what you’re thinking. Holly, it’s October. Surely no one’s already thinking about Eurovision – it doesn’t even start ‘til May! Well…you would be wrong. Because hardcore British Eurovision fanatics like me have never been so excited to hear the latest song contest’s news! After the UK came second in this year’s contest behind worthy winners Ukraine, it was announced shortly after that the UK would be given the opportunity to host next year’s contest, amid the growing Russian conflict. Following this, the question on everyone’s mind was just which city was going to host this magnificent event. After 19 bids were put in up and down the country, including our very own Leeds, it was announced last week that the responsibility was to be placed with Liverpool! Here’s everything you need to know about this monumental occasion for our country (come on, we haven’t hosted since 1998!)…

Despite the bookies’ favourites being good ol’ Scottish Glasgow, Liverpool clearly managed to win round the EBU, showcasing the highlights of their beautiful city. But what were the selling points of Liverpool’s bid?

The World-Class Music Scene

You may only remember Liverpool’s music scene for the Beatles, but in fact, many other record-selling scousers artists have emerged from this city! The Wombats, Cilla Black, Dead or Alive, Atomic Kitten, just to name a few. It is in fact the city in the UK with the most Number 1’s! Not only was Liverpool chosen for the sheer amount of talent to come out of the city, but I’m sure, for the huge variety of music and styles. From pop and rock, to indie and alternative, the city brings everything Eurovision is known for – embracing every music genre (the good, the bad and the ugly!)

European City of Culture

After winning the award back in 2008, Liverpool was able to showcase both its diversity and tradition through annual festivals and, of course, a classic appearance from the one-and-only, Paul McCartney. The title permanently put Liverpool on the European map, bringing more recognition and awareness to the beauty of this city, something I am sure they will be fully utilising in May. Culture is a huge part of Eurovision, with all kinds of acts, of all genders, competing in solidarity with music – I’m sure this is something Liverpool feels confident in bringing to the competition.

The Beautiful Dockside

With the chosen location of the contest, the M&S bank arena, situated alongside the picturesque dockside in Liverpool, the city allows tourists travelling from all over Europe to see the wonders of the UK, along with its’ numerous sight-seeing destinations such as the Royal Albert Dock, Liverpool Cathedral, the Tate and many more. The city has plenty of tourist traps to offer fans, making the Eurovision experience one to remember.

Although it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of the UK hosting Eurovision on our own soil, we must not forget the real reason why that is the case. With conflict in Ukraine still continuing, Ukraine’s representatives found no possible way to host the contest, fearing even the production of it could increase risk of attacks. So, it is unlikely that we will be hearing from legends such as Paul McCartney (although never say never!) as the contest will be showcasing Ukrainian culture and music. It is rumoured that many refugees, as well as Ukrainian community groups, will be invited to be part of the contest, ensuring the event brings as much of Ukraine to the competition as it possibly can. There will, of course, be a performance from last year’s winners, Kalush Orchestra, as they will be performing their winning song at the final, but other than that, I am excited to see how Liverpool can truly embrace the spirit of Ukraine within their production.

So, we’re still 7 months away from the contest, what happens next? After the success of the UK in last year’s competition with now British icon, Sam Ryder, all eyes will be on the country to deliver something just as successful, and I, for one, am staying hopeful! I believe last year was our beginning, the start of actually delivering acts we want to do well in the competition. And I really hope we begin to alter the stereotypes too. Despite the laughs and giggles, the wildness and wackiness associated with the competition, the thing I love about Eurovision is the excitement, the fun, the energy and the frank ‘I don’t give a damn’ attitude. I sure do hope that with the competition being held in our country in 2023, others will finally be able to embrace that too. So, it’s goodbye from me for now. I’m sure I’ll be returning to your computer screens the second that the UK representative is confirmed for my hot take! Now, onto my Liverpool Airbnb booking… (not actually a joke). Bring on Liverpool 2023!

Written by: Holly Harrison

Edited by: Harsheni Maniarasan

Hey! I'm a first year at the University of Leeds studying for a degree in English Literature and Language. I love reading, cooking and exploring the countryside and I also enjoy playing my piano!