This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week Her Campus Leeds talks to Mo Ayoub, Leeds University Union (LUU) Media Rep and Deputy Station Manager of Leeds Student Radio (LSR). 

Hi Mo! So, tell us a bit about yourself…

Hey! I’m Mo, I’m 21 and I’m in my final year here at Leeds studying Spanish and Arabic. I guess I’d have to say I’m from Liverpool, but I’ve lived all over so I don’t really identify with one place in particular.

How did you get involved with LSR and LUU Media? 

Well, with LSR I was super keen right from the start. I actually chose to come to Leeds after seeing the radio station during my open day. I was really interested in being part of the radio at the time, so in my first year I joined LSR and started behind the scenes (I was initially too scared to be on a mic!). Four years later and I’m still super keen, and being ‘DJ Moseph’ is now a really big part of my life.

Getting my role as LUU media rep was a bit different. Other people had always thought that I would move up the chain in LSR, and while I was on the committee in my 3rd year, I wanted to gain more experience with other media and meet more people both in the union and in media societies. 

Why do you care about media?

It was the first thing that I’d ever had a passion or drive for. When I was younger I was interested in music, and I suppose the radio allowed me to talk about it more. Also, I think that because I’m originally from Egypt, and so I was constantly surrounded by media, I was always somewhat interested in it. Now, I love the rewarding feeling that I get after interviewing someone interesting or playing great music.

Which is your favourite job and why?

I don’t know how to answer that – you can’t do this to me! I guess that if I had to pick one, I’d say that my favourite job is being on LSR as that’s where I started 3 years ago, and because I was lucky enough to be surrounded by great people from the beginning, which means that I grew up a lot in LSR.

How do you balance your time?

(laughs) How do I balance my time? In an unconventional manner really, which really means that I don’t balance it well…I have no real constant academic pressure during the semester, so I can focus on making the union’s media and LSR the best they can be – hopefully I’m doing a good job! When assignments come up, I just have to head to the library and get some serious work done.

Sounds difficult! So, what’s a typical week like for you? 

Tuesday is usually dedicated totally to studying, and during the rest of the week I pop into lectures, and pop into LSR, LSTV and the Gryphon. I also try to speak to all the other people who are involved in media at the union (like Her Campus!). I don’t have that much time to hit the gym anymore, but occasionally I try and fit it in. Basically my weeks are pretty much adhoc!

How can people get involved in LSR or media at uni?

In any way possible! If you visit the LUU website (https://www.luu.org.uk/groups/), it has loads of information about all the different media societies. People who are interested in media at LUU can also tweet me (@Moseph94). With regards to LSR, if they email info@thisislsr.com with their enquiries someone will get back to them. However, it would be easier and much better if people came in and spoke to us in person in the LSR station, which is upstairs in the union.

What roles are there available in LSR?

Being part of LSR isn’t just about pretending to be Chris Moyles – there’s so much more. Producing, which involves making a script for a show and sitting in on shows, and learning how to DJ, which means you could DJ in Terrace or elsewhere in the Union, are great options for those who don’t want to be on the mic. You could also be part of choosing which songs we play, or you could help out with business and marketing, which involves organising events and promoting LSR around campus. Finally, as from this year you can also blog for LSR – we’re looking for interviews, music reviews and even travel articles.

Does LSR have anything exciting planned that we should know about?

We have loads going on! Next week on Monday in the common room we’re having a meeting in order to get more people involved in LSR. As for next year, The Transmission, a night showcasing local acts from across the North, is taking place at Brudenell Social Club. Finally, on a personal note, next semester myself and two other DJs (Dangerous Jag and PIXI) are taking part in RAG’s event Bacchanalia. It’s going to be held in the union, but as I’m playing a set I can tell you that it won’t be fruity-esque! There will also be a special guest joining, and all proceeds go to charity. Keep an eye on both RAG’s and LSR’s social media pages on Facebook and Twitter for more information!

It’s now only 3 weeks to Christmas, so are you looking forward to the break?

I am a lot! I don’t celebrate Christmas as I’m a Muslim, but I am going to see my family in Dubai over the break so I’m looking forward to that. This semester has been really busy, so I will definitely appreciate some time to relax in the sun. Leeds’ weather really doesn’t do it for me sometimes!

Finally, do you have anything else to add?

I guess I’d just like to tell people that they shouldn’t be scared to try out new societies, whether it be LSR, LSTV or Her Campus. They should have a go and get involved, because it’s a chance to discover new passions and hidden talents! Also, I’d like to say thank-you for being such a lovely interviewer!