Campus Celebrity: Charlotte Grace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Her Campus Leeds got chatting to Charlotte Grace, the Secretary of Belly Dancing Society yesterday.

1. Hi Charlotte, tell us a bit about yourself- where are you from, what are you studying, what are your interests?

Hi! I’m Charlotte and I’m a third year BSc Physics student. I’m from Wakefield – one of the closest cities to Leeds – so this year I’m commuting from home. Much cheaper than living in Leeds!

2. How did you first get involved in Belly Dancing Society?

I came to a Give it a Go in ReFreshers in my first year, and have been dancing ever since! I participated in the Dance Show in my second year and it was one of the best experiences ever! It was after that I decided to join the committee.

3. What’s the best thing about it?

The best thing about our society is definitely how welcoming and friendly it is to be a part of! All the Belly dance ladies are amazing, we have a wonderful teacher, and it’s lovely to be able to make so many friends – and of course, learn to dance and perform! 

4. What made you want to become Secretary?

I decided to apply for the position of Secretary because I have good literacy skills and enjoy communicating with people. I knew this society was such a friendly one to be a part of, so I wasn’t nervous at all about applying to be on the committee!

5. What’s a typical week like for you?

Being secretary involves writing the weekly emails to keep members updated with everything going on in the society, and attending the weekly committee meeting to organise events and workshops. Other than that, usually I don’t have to get up too early this year (which makes a nice change for me!). During third year, a usual week is a few lectures, a meeting with my supervisor, and a day and a half in the Physics labs! How thrilling! I also go in to a local Secondary School every Tuesday as part of my Physics in Schools module – that’s a lot of fun! And of course, the weekly bellydance classes!

6. I know it’s nearly the end of term but do you have exciting planned that we should know about?

YES! Today in fact (15th March) the society are performing in Dance for Dance Aid, organised by Street Dance Soc, with all proceeds going to charity. It’s 7-9pm tonight in the Riley Smith. It’s also our AGM tomorrow (16th March) at Terrace so we’ll be finding out who the new committee members are! Exciting stuff! 

7. How can students get involved?

Students can get involved in our society by coming to the AGM tomorrow to meet people (7-9pm in Terrace) or attend any of our workshops or socials – it’s cheaper if you’re a member too! We have two upcoming workshops, “Shimmy in and out of Easter” episode 1 and 2, one being a burlesque fusion belly dance choreography with fan veils (sexy!) and the other being a shimmy workshop. Search for the event on Facebook for more details!

8. Is there anything else you’d like to add

I’m starting a PGCE in September which is massively exciting for me! I get to find out which schools I’m going in to during the Easter break, so fingers crossed I get my choices! I’m also doing a paid placement towards the end of the school term. Can’t believe I graduate this summer – it’s been a great year!