This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The informative, yet intense story of the development of the most prominent modern-day media frenzy and downfall of the career and life of Britney Spears, was released onto Netflix on the 28th of September 2021.

It contains various interviews with individuals heavily connected to Britney and her life including a journalist, Jenny Eliscu; Britney’s former assistant, Felicia Culotta, Britney’s former manager, Sam Lutfi; her paparazzi ex-boyfriend, Adnan Ghalib and her former attorney, Adam Streisand. It also analyses and describes the ways in which they all impacted and contributed to Britney Spears’ life.

The documentary clarifies the origins of the issues facing Britney when she began to relentlessly be pursued by paparazzi, sometimes through intense car chases during her divorce and after. This could arguably be perceived as the catalyst for the downwards-spiralling psychological state of Britney Spears. Consequently, Britney began taking Adderall; volatile to her then vulnerable position. These sporadic behavioural tendencies were believed to have potentially been related to the growing suspicions of early-onset dementia.

Britney faced public and personal downfall from losing custody of her children, to frequent hospital visits and eventually a conservatorship over Britney by Jamie Spears, Britney’s father, allowing all possessions of Britney’s to be taken by Jamie. This enabled Jamie to have the power to enter Britney’s property at any time, as well as providing her father with the authority to approve all opportunities proposed to Britney if permitted by her medical team. Financial incentives to get Britney to work more through permanent conservatorship were clear and it was made evident from the documentary that, through this situation, Britney resulted in her basic human rights being completely stripped from her.

Throughout the documentary, it was apparent that Britney’s father, Jamie Spears was perceived as the villain as he originated this constrictive lifestyle preventing Britney from vocalising any of her feelings or being capable of making her independent decisions.

Concluding the documentary, there is audio footage of Britney speaking up over the traumatic and restrictive conservatorship experiences. It emphasises how the control that her father has had over her for years, is demoralising and embarrassing which effectively and emotionally conveys how heart-breaking the lack of jurisdiction was over Britney Spears’ life.

Since the 7th of September 2021, Jamie Spears’ conservatorship over Britney was terminated through his own personal request – a hope and desire to reinvigorate and liberate Britney’s life is now a possibility.

Words by: Eloise Barnes

Edited by: Holly Phillips

Senior Editor of Her Campus Leeds with a passion for writing and editing.