This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

If you had said the name ‘Victoria Adams’ to me two months ago, I wouldn’t have a clue who you were talking about. I would have assumed she was a family friend or acquaintance, not one of the most famous women in the world. Since watching Netflix’s Beckham, I have learned that Victoria Adams is none other than a pop star, fashion designer and wife of David Beckham — more widely known as Victoria Beckham (or ‘Posh Spice’ to those with more of an affliction for 90’s pop than football). Despite being a self-proclaimed Spice Girls fan, I must admit that the first thing that springs to mind when I hear Victoria Beckham is, “Oh, right, David Beckham’s wife.” I don’t mean to reduce her to her marriage status, but it is just what society has known her most for. Her Spice Girls career lasted only six years if you don’t count the 2012 reunion, while she has been married to the footballer for 24 years. Most of her life has been lived as Victoria Beckham, not Victoria Adams. But is it reasonable to claim that is all she is — just the wife of some guy?

During her six years with the Spice Girls, Victoria Beckham won five Brit Awards, four Billboard Music Awards, three AMAs, and four MTV awards. They became the best-selling girl group in history during their career and a household name internationally. After their breakup, Victoria released her solo music and became one of the biggest names in the fashion industry. She won many of her own awards, even being named GQ’s Woman of the Decade in 2013 and being awarded an MBE for her contribution to the fashion industry. But somehow, despite all of this, it is rare for her name to be separated from her husband’s. 

The role of the ‘WAG’ (Wives and Girlfriends of sports stars) has shaped the narrative of those three letters being their only defining point. Being the wife or girlfriend of a footballer is — to society — enough. These women are diminished to nothing more than a showpiece, a supporter of the man in the relationship. They are often considered stay-at-home wives and mothers with little ability beyond their role in their husband’s world. Think BMWs, brunch dates, fancy dinners at which their partners are being honoured. Even with Victoria Beckham and all her accolades, her marriage still comes out on top.

And perhaps Victoria Beckham is the least effective of these examples — because she is still recognised for her music and fashion career, even if it comes after her husband. When we look beyond the football world to other sports, the ‘trophy wife’ still exists and is even expected. Take Formula One, for example, one of the most popular sports on social media. Within the F1 world, the driver’s wives and girlfriends are well known as fashion icons on the paddock, beloved supporters of their partner’s life-risking sport. However, many might not know that Lily Muni He, girlfriend of William’s driver Alex Albon, is a world-renowned pro golfer. She became one of the world’s top female golfers by age 20 (Tatler Asia, 2020) and has competed with the Ladies Professional Golf Association since 2015. 

I could do a deep dive into every girlfriend or wife of every sports star and find many achievements and accolades, but I won’t take up the word count with that. The fact of the matter is, no one else has bothered to look past their romantic status’ either. People are content with WAGs being, well, just that. I can’t help but notice how this narrative also reflects everyday life. Society does not bat an eyelid when a woman stands by and supports her partner, never questioning whether she has a job or a purpose. Since the beginning of time, it has been the woman’s role to stand behind the man. Despite the last century’s vast improvements in gender equality, this is still the problem at the heart of society. Why is a woman not allowed to be just as, or more, successful than her husband? Is there only room for one success story in a relationship?

Perhaps if we ever get a Victoria Adams documentary, we’ll find out. 

Edited by Aimee Missen

Hiya! I’m a first year journalism student at the University of Leeds, who loves all things pop culture (mostly Taylor Swift), literature and female empowerment!