‘Battinson’: The Latest in a Long Line of Caped Crusaders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

****SPOILER WARNING FOR “THE BATMAN” ***

I just want to start this article by saying Robert Pattinson’s iteration is everything I have ever wanted in a Batman and that ‘The Batman‘ is now in my top 5 comic book films of all time.  

As a true Marvel fangirl, I am built to hate DC and automatically search for faults in everything they produce. I just always found that DC films tried too hard to follow the Marvel playbook but always fell short which led to the trauma that is Joss Whedon’s ‘Justice League’. However, the films that are separate from the main DC Extended Universe like ‘Joker‘ are where DC is in a league of their own and ‘The Batman’ continues to prove this. 

In Matt Reeves’ ‘The Batman’, Bruce Wayne has been the Caped Crusader for only two years when a serial killer known as the Riddler starts to target high profile officials throughout Gotham City, unmasking the corruption within the city’s institutions. 

Robert Pattinson was a casting choice that split fans with most only remembering him from ‘Twilight‘ (which I still stand behind just because it was SO bad it was GOOD), ignoring other parts of his filmography. For example, his film ‘Good Time’ showed that he isn’t just a teen heartthrob and that he can take on roles with more depth.

Some people think that his Batman character was too brooding, however, we need to consider that this is a very green Batman, who has only been the masked vigilante for two years. He still hasn’t dealt with the trauma of losing his parents at a young age and hasn’t realised that he needs to develop the ‘billionaire playboy’ Bruce Wayne persona that we have seen from Christian Bale’s version.  This is a Bruce Wayne who believes that he can do more for the city of Gotham as Batman than Bruce Wayne. 

The opening scene is one of the best from a comic book film aside from Avengers: Infinity War. Nothing will beat the first time I heard Thanos say “Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now it’s here. Or should I say, I am” – I’m sorry, I’m a Marvel fangirl I had to slip something in. My favourite line from ‘The Batman’ opening is “they think I am hiding in the shadows… but I am the shadows” It sets the scene of how dark and gritty Gotham is and I like how he isn’t confident that his work is helping the city – that he wonders if he is truly making a difference. 

Whilst everyone was focusing on Batman and Catwoman’s undeniable chemistry together, and believe me Zoe Kravitz was a compelling Catwoman, the relationship between James Gordon, the police lieutenant, and Batman was my favourite. It was great to see on-screen Batman truly being the world’s greatest detective that he is known for in the comics set in a neo-noir type thriller with the harsh lighting and back-alley meetings.  They were a great duo, and it was interesting to see their loyalty and trust play out on screen and their staged fake fight was a funny moment.

Another character that stood out was the main villain. The Riddler was so creepy, almost too creepy because it was rooted in realism. His motivation was something you could understand, making you more uneasy. He didn’t need to be a large, bulking, and strong villain to cause fear and bring down corrupt officials. 

The cinematography of the ending was beautifully shot. The scene that stood out to me was of Batman holding the flare in the darkness, leading people out to safety. We realise alongside him that he needs to be a symbol of hope to the people who need it and not just a force of vengeance. 

If you haven’t already watched the film…what are you waiting for? I was already anxiously waiting for the second film when I left the theatre on opening day.

Words by:

Edited by: Dasha Pitts-Yushchenko

Hey! I am a second year medical student at Leeds who enjoys writing about music and cultural issues.