10 Female-Authored Books You Should Read This Year 

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Make sure to enrich your TBR list in 2024 with these gripping reads:  

Motherthing – Ainslie Hogarth (2022) 

Genre: Horror 

Who knew that such a viscerally terrifying read could be so much fun? Hogarth’s velvety language makes this a very satisfying read. Meanwhile, the ghostly revenge tale provides a wonderfully horrific plotline for us to sink our teeth into. The contrast works wonderfully; imagine the book equivalent of a sweet and sour sauce. An almost perfect read.  

Nightbitch – Rachel Yoder (2021) 

Genre: Horror  

Similarly, Yoder’s Nightbitch uses elements of physical horror to depict the difficulties of being a refined, stay-at-home mother. The protagonist ‘Nightbitch’ rejects societal conventions and begins to embrace her more primal side in disturbing and unusual ways. Like Motherthing, the prose is beautifully crafted and deliberate, aiding the eerie transformation. 

Eileen – Ottessa Moshfegh (2015)  

Genre: Thriller 

Certainly, another odd and unsettling read, Eileen tells the story of the eponymous character’s disappearance. Living a solitary and dissatisfied life, Eileen meets the merry Rebecca Saint John, before her life is altered in ways she could never have predicted. Disturbing and completely weird, this novel is an enthralling thriller which grips and does not let go.  

White Teeth – Zadie Smith (2000) 

Genre: Contemporary Fiction 

A modern classic, White Teeth never fails to impress me with its complexity and beauty. The novel centres around two friends from strikingly different cultural backgrounds. It follows their lives and families, as they navigate Britain during a time of cultural change. Words really do fail this book, and the only way to do it justice is to urge you to read it. Witty, moving and simply brilliant.  

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit – Jeanette Winterson (1985) 

Genre: Queer Fiction  

Winterson’s orthodox Pentecostal Evangelist background heavily influences the plot of Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit. The novel explores the relationship between homosexuality and religion through the lens of the witty and insightful protagonist. An emotional read which is not to be missed. 

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories – Angela Carter (1979) 

Genre: Fantasy  

In this collection of short stories, Carter retells classic fairytales through a feminist lens. She provides alternative and often shocking endings to these traditional tales. This provides a hugely entertaining read which empowers the female characters. It certainly makes a refreshing read for those sick of the misogynistic tropes in much loved fairytales. 

Milkman – Anna Burns (2018) 

Genre: Historical Fiction  

In an unnamed city full of unnamed characters, ‘Middle sister’ tries her hardest to fit in. Yet this starts to become increasingly difficult following her encounter with ‘Milkman’. This eerie and sad tale recounts the Irish Troubles and their impact on an ordinary girl just trying to stay anonymous. Although a dense and challenging read, it is beautifully written and engaging throughout. 

The Dangers of Smoking in Bed – Mariana Enriquez (2009) 

Genre: Horror, Magical Realism 

This is another short story collection by Argentine Author Mariana Enriquez. These macabre stories are as addictive as they are ghastly, and you will be guaranteed to tear through them. The supernatural is eerily intertwined with the everyday throughout each of these grim tales, all of which are set in Buenos Aires.  

Good Morning, Midnight – Jean Rhys (1939) 

Genre: Fiction 

Set on the verge of the second world war in Paris, this story is about the troubled and lonely Sasha, and her unyielding struggle for self-acceptance and happiness. Whilst not a particularly empowering tale, it is certainly a moving one. The narrative is intimate and unique, and the story touching and often still relatable today. A definite must-read. 

The Vanishing Half – Brit Bennett (2020)   

Genre: Historical Fiction  

This award-winning novel tells the story of the Vignes twins. Despite having the same upbringing, they go on to lead strikingly different lives. Desiree returns to the black town in which she was born, whilst Stella breaks from her past entirely, deciding to pass as a white woman and hiding her past. But will her concealment come to light? Renowned for its seamless and evocative storytelling, this story is an enthralling and emotional read. 

Written By: Daisy Morrow 

Edited By: Rebecca McGeehan