The XY Files: An Introduction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Le Moyne chapter.

Most women admit that with beauty comes pain and sacrifice. We crimp, curl, flat iron, blow dry, wax, paint, bleach, and dye ourselves into pristine condition. My question is, why?

So often we get it in our heads that guys actually like all these things. Sorry, ladies, they don’t. How do I know such intimate knowledge? I have my sources.

My mission over the next several weeks is to expose many of these hidden misconceptions that we ladies have regarding members of the opposite sex. I have elected numerous male sources to assist me in my endeavors, and together we will uncover the truth behind certain preconceived notions.

Although my sources cover a variety of personality types and perspectives, I will not claim to know the inner thoughts of all men. My goal isn’t to expose the male mind. Instead I wish to show all you wonderful ladies what most guys genuinely care about. For starters, makeup isn’t one of them.

One of the most important things to understand about this particular blog is how it relates to you. Maybe one week you will find that what I have to say about what guys really think is the exact opposite of what your boyfriend thinks. This is a good opportunity to address what traits/qualities in a significant other are important to you and to evaluate your current relationship. As I stated before, what my simple research and observation say may not correlate to every guy out there, but that doesn’t mean you should settle for someone with extreme expectations. As you will see, there are many guys who will appreciate you for who you are.

I am here to set things straight, to right the wrongs, and to harmonize the universe. Well, that may be a bit farfetched, but you have to start somewhere. We women have a power that is not meant to be weakened by curling irons and mascara. The reality of it all rests within those who we aim to please: the men. Despite what we may tell ourselves, we have to understand that the male brain is not designed to care about such minor details. It is time to end the association of pain and beauty and tune in to what guys really care about.

Sincerely,
Double X

Omairys, a born and raised New York City gal of the Dominican descent, is a motivated Communications/Advertising major, with a minor in English. She does not know what she will do with her Communications degree after graduation but is ambitious enough to hope it will be something promising, as this field has been her passion for as long as she could remember. She is actively involved on campus, as she is President of El Progreso, a multicultural organization that strives to raise awareness of the Latino community. She loves to travel: she has traveled to Kenya to work at The Nyumbani Program and will be interning at our nation's capital her senior year! She is hard working, and excited to bring change to her campus---Le Moyne.